Ante Topic Mimara

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

writes:

You have not answered: What state do you live in?

This is relevant to the weight of a boat how?

How anonymous do you intend to remain?

As much as possible. I have several concerns, all of which are
not relevant to the questions being asked. If I lived in North
Carolina, the vessel would weigh the same as if I lived in North
Dakota.

Also, what states will you be in when you are towing on your
trips?

Please forgive my ignorance, but this is relevant to the weight
of the boat how?

I raised the matter of your boat's 10' 6" beam because in ALL
of the states in the USA, you will be towing an Oversize Load.

This to me is a more pertinent question than the weight of the
vessel. It is an excellent question, and I thank you for asking it.

How high is the top of your boat above the waterline?

I have no idea how high it is above the waterline.

After your boat is on a trailer what will the height of the
boat be above the pavement?

I have no idea what the height of the boat above the pavement
will be, when on a trailer.

Note that states have a height limit for towed loads because
of overpasses and powerlines. In most states the limit is 13' 6".
In at least one state it is 13'.

This is another excellent piece of information.

There's a Chart of the Trailer Towing Laws of the various states
at
http://www.loadrite.com/ . There are a couple of mistakes,
but I think the chart gives you an idea of what I and others are
saying. You or anyone looking at the chart should confirm the
requirements and limits with the Department of Motor Vehicles for
the states in which you will be towing.

This is indeed a factor in the decision to acquire this vessel.

Towing an Oversize Load can requi a Permit for each trip; only
towing during daylight hours; and/or an escort vehicle or escort
vehicles. You may have seen this when a large piece of equipment,
a large house trailer or "half" of a prefabricated/manufactured
house is being moved on a public highway.

This I have seen many times.

This can get expensive each time you move the boat. You may decide
that it is not practical or "feasible" (your word) for you to have
such a large boat as your "trailerable boat" and so your other
questions may become moot.

Based solely on your post, and the excellent questions you have
raised, I am no longer considering this or any other large boat.
It simply is not worth what effort it will take to move it between
places to put it on water. If I were to buy a boat this long, or
longer, it would have to be for use in one location only.

Another factor is that you will be launching a 28' long boat with
a draft of 2' 2". I do not know and so ask others, can such a boat
be launched at all boat launching ramps? Or, can it only be
launched at ramps which are steep?

Again, my ignorance of this is telling, but are not boat ramps made
so that boats can be launched? I understand you to tell me that they
are not made for boats bigger than the little open fishing type
boats
that I see which are as small as the cars pulling them. I should go
and read more on this, and ask around as to how these large boats I
see get put in the water in the first place.

Sorry if this does answer your displacement questions, but you
have other considerations, as well, before you buy this boat.

I have no other considerations any longer, thanks to your excellent
questions raised. I appreciate this group for having good answers
and raising more good questions. It is a place to learn!

I know that this may be frustrating to all of you who know so
much about this and other things, but I have to start somewhere,
and learn from the beginning. It is good to see people who remember
what it is like to not know a lot, and who take the time to be
nice enough to make good responses to what they think are easy or
silly questions. We have to learn somehow.

And I apologize for all those other multiple posts. My software
does not work perfectly all the time.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Rich Hampel

As much as possible. I have several concerns, all of which are
not relevant to the questions being asked. If I lived in North
Carolina, the vessel would weigh the same as if I lived in North
Dakota.

No it wouldnt !!!!
The MASS would be the same but not necessarily the weight.
Wgt .= mass X gravitational acceleration. Weight is not a constant
value and varies due to local (and varying) gravity values. The
'local' acceleration to do gravity anomalies for each location and
altitude will be different and you need to ascertain what the local
gravity acceleration is. Mass is constant but weight never is.
...... just like displacement values vary with the density of the water.

Thought I'd add to this never ending 'moebius loop' thread. ;-)

Ante Topic Mimara

Rich Hampel writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

As much as possible. I have several concerns, all of which
are not relevant to the questions being asked. If I lived
in North Carolina, the vessel would weigh the same as if I
lived in North Dakota.

No it wouldnt !!!!

For all practical purposes, yes it would.

The MASS would be the same but not necessarily the weight.

For all practical purposes, yes it would.

Wgt .= mass X gravitational acceleration.

Thank you for the math lesson.

You tell me off the top of your head what the exact
"gravitational acceleration" at Wrightsville Beach, North
Carolina is, and also that of Williston, North Dakota, and
figure up the equation you posed above to tell me the exact
difference between the two.

This is as significant as wheels on a platypus. The variation
of weight between any two given locations within 500 miles,
would not matter in the least to what kind of vehicle would
be required to tow this vessel, nor would it matter in the
least to the real-world weight of this vessel, as it is
measured in a realistic manner. There may be up to a fraction
of a pound of weight, but in the grand scheme of things, that
is statistically insignificant. Perhaps if I were towing this
vessel on the moon, it might matter, but I am not concerned
with theory, I am concerned with real world practice.

And in any case, it is now totally irrelevant, because I cannot
use this, or any other boat large enough for me to utilize in
the manner I wish to. I would have to cruise it over 200 miles
to get to the nearest coast, to be able to go anywhere with it,
other than up and down a short amount of the local river front.
I cannot take it to any of the local lakes, and this is something
I had wanted to do.

Weight is not a constant value and varies due to local (and
varying) gravity values. The 'local' acceleration to do gravity
anomalies for each location and altitude will be different and
you need to ascertain what the local gravity acceleration is.
Mass is constant but weight never is...... just like displacement
values vary with the density of the water.

You are choking on a flea, and swallowing a camel.

I do not know about you, but I cannot look at any item this large,
and determine it's weight at a glance, down to the fraction of an
ounce.

For all practical purposes, and in the real world, not that of
theoretical mathematics, the boat might weigh 7000 pounds in
North Dakota, and 7000.00002 pounds in North Carolina. Of course
this is just as much of a stretch of the theory of gravity as
your comment that it would not weight the same, and just as
helpful.

Thought I'd add to this never ending 'moebius loop' thread.

Perhaps your efforts would have been better exerted, had you
just addressed the questions I wished to have answered, than
in dwelling over miniscule details that matter not a whit to
the issues at hand.

I thank you for your reply, but it served no practical purpose.
Except possibly to discourage me from wanting to participate.

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Scott Vernon

wrote in message

I raised the matter of your boat's 10' 6" beam because in ALL of the

states
in the USA, you will be towing an Oversize Load.

True!

Note that states have a height limit for towed loads because of overpasses
and powerlines. In most states the limit is 13' 6". In at least one

state
it is 13'.

Which state is 13' ?

Towing an Oversize Load can requi a Permit for each trip; only towing
during daylight hours; and/or an escort vehicle or escort vehicles.

Not to mention some cities have curfew laws. (no movement 0600~0900 and
1600~1900)

This can get expensive each time you move the boat.

Depending on the state (which for some suspicious reason he is hiding )
permit can be as little as $10. But that is each trip.
Some states require special insurance.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

Scott Vernon

wrote in message

[...]

Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Boat Displacement Brian D Boat Building 2 July 3rd 03 03:44 AM