Doug Dotson

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

I beleive that "tonnage" is not directly related to displacement but
rather the internal volume of the boat that is usable to carry cargo.
Something like that. Anyway, the tonnage of my boat is quite a bit different
than the displacement.

The OP started the post by referring to weight (displacement), but the
final question seemed to be more related to the width of the trailered
boat.

Doug
s/v Callista

"DUINK" wrote in message
As far as I know displacement = weight. Certainly the weight of the boat

will
displace the amount of water with that same weight (hence the term
displacement). That said, for documentation purposes the Coast Guard

refers to
a tonnage (don't recall if they call it displacement) that relates only to

boat
volume, not the weight.

Ante Topic Mimara

Jere Lull writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I am having trouble attempting to determine the weight of
a boat, with limited information about it. snip
Displacement: 6,075 lbs
Draft: 2'-2"

Is it possible to determine how much this vessel weighs from
this sort of information?

As it happens, we're about 1000# heavier and about the same size,
though taller. A couple of Xan's sisters are hauled on trailers,
but not often. Pretty much one round trip a year.

What kind of motor boat do you have?

Expect your weight and displacement to be roughly equivalent.

Would this not be the same thing as the neutral buoyancy issue?

Add a trailer and gear you're in the 7-8000# range, possibly
higher.

Yes, I can see that adding a trailer will add some weight. I
was just hoping to get some idea of how much, in addition to
determining the weight of the boat as well.

You're talking a pretty good-sized tow vehicle and a fairly
expensive trailer unless you can adapt a used one.

I do not know if a trailer is available, so I assume not. I
believe I will have to have one made, if I can find out what
the weight of the vessel is.

[If you have a cradle, it can be secured to a flat bed, BTW.]

What is a "cradle" as it applies to boat trailers? I have never
seen any other kind of boat trailer that the boat does anything
but sit on top of the trailer. Is this something I must add, for
safety or travel?

As I recall, I was told a 150 with a tow package can handle
it in a pinch, but a 250 is better.

I'm totally lost here. To what kind of vehicles do you refer?

Splashing and retrieving the boat in can be a hassle, but you
might be able to float it off and on at a good ramp.

All of the boats I have seen people back into the lakes and river
around here, just back up, and the boat floats off the trailer.

Is there another way of doing it that I do not know about?

Otherwise, you'll need a hoist/lift.

I am not familiar with this.

If you have a wooden mast, add the use of a crane.

Mast? There is no mast on this boat. It is a 28 foot long
Grandy Sedan Cruiser. It has no masts that I know of.

All these things cost. When I ran the numbers, I found I could
pay a professional to haul it back and forth each season for
years and years before matching the initial outlay on the towing
equipment. Was even cheaper to let the marina haul and store.

I deeply appreciate your writing all you did, but it does not mean
anything to me. I do not know about many of these things to which
you refer.

I just want to find out if it is feasible to be able to move this
boat between the river and the lakes around here, or take it to
the coast on a trailer (150 miles) so that I can go up and down
the coast, without following the river to the coast (220 miles)
on a trailer.

Thanks for all the other information though!

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Ante Topic Mimara

Doug Dotson writes:

Just give the DOT a call.

DOT? This is Federal Department of Transportation, and not for
a single State, I presume?

They can tell you the bottom line instantly.

Fantastic idea! Thank you!

10'6" is definately wide for towing, but I don't think it is
wider than a standard tractor-trailer.

Truthfully, this width thing never occurred to me.

None of this has anything to do with weight and displacement
though.

Yes, it doesn't. Can you add anything to address this question?
Thank you so much for your other information.
---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Jere Lull

In article LKDGRCFC38078.9701851852@anonymous,
Ante Topic Mimara ] wrote:

Jere Lull writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I am having trouble attempting to determine the weight of
a boat, with limited information about it. snip
Displacement: 6,075 lbs
Draft: 2'-2"

Is it possible to determine how much this vessel weighs from
this sort of information?

As it happens, we're about 1000# heavier and about the same size,
though taller. A couple of Xan's sisters are hauled on trailers,
but not often. Pretty much one round trip a year.

What kind of motor boat do you have?

She's a sailboat (see her page below). Her displacement -- and weight --
is nearly 1000# higher than what you have listed. As I said before, she
can be towed, but it requires a big truck.

Add a trailer and gear you're in the 7-8000# range, possibly
higher.

Yes, I can see that adding a trailer will add some weight. I
was just hoping to get some idea of how much, in addition to
determining the weight of the boat as well.

If the 6075# you quoted is correct, I'd say you'd be safe if you chose
8000# for a working number. Planning for 10,000 would possibly be safer,
but I am pretty sure everything would add up to less than that.

What is a "cradle" as it applies to boat trailers?

It's a custom frame to hold the boat safely while it's on land.
Sometimes a boat will have one, but if you haven't heard the term,
you'll probably have to get/buy/build a trailer.

As I recall, I was told a 150 with a tow package can handle
it in a pinch, but a 250 is better.

I'm totally lost here. To what kind of vehicles do you refer?

Sorry. They're the largest pickup trucks, built for heavy use. Take a
look at trucks rated to tow -- and stop -- 8-10,000 pounds.

All of the boats I have seen people back into the lakes and river
around here, just back up, and the boat floats off the trailer.
Is there another way of doing it that I do not know about?

There are other ways, but if the boat actually draws only 2'2", you
probably will be able to float off as they do, so there's no need to get
into that.

I just want to find out if it is feasible to be able to move this
boat between the river and the lakes around here, or take it to
the coast on a trailer (150 miles) so that I can go up and down
the coast, without following the river to the coast (220 miles)
on a trailer.

Ahhh! Intended use comes out!

It's feasible, most likely, but those are fairly long distances. I towed
for a decade and enjoyed playing on waters within a couple of hundred
miles, but it does get old and we didn't use the boat as much as we did
after we settled in a good cruising ground and moored.

Rough rule of thumb I've observed of actual boaters. About an hour away
is reasonable for a day trip; about 2 hours for a weekend. Yes, you can
travel longer, but people just don't do it very often.

--
Jere Lull

Charles T. Low

This won't answer all of your questions.

A cradle is what a boat sits in or on on land. Some trailers are just really
flat beds with a cradle on them. Other trailers are more custom-built for a
particular boat or type of boat. A boat can be floated off some trailers at
ramps, or lifted with a crane onto or off a trailer. My yacht club has a
crane, for example, and you can drive your trailer underneath it and plop in
the water. (For launch and haulout, when a bigger reach is needed, we hire a
bi-i-ig crane.)

Some boats don't sit in a cradle, but on "stands." Depends on the boat and
other variables.

It occurs to me that one very simple answer to your dilemma would be to
visit a commercial marina and see what they suggest. This is what they do
for a living!

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Ante Topic Mimara" ] wrote in message

[...]

Charles T. Low

[...]

Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Boat Displacement Brian D Boat Building 2 July 3rd 03 03:44 AM