Ante Topic Mimara

Default A question about boat weight and displacement

DUINK writes:

As far as I know displacement = weight.

Somehow, this doesn't sound right to me.

Certainly the weight of the boat will displace the amount of
water with that same weight (hence the term displacement).

If something displaces X pounds of water, it must weigh X - n to
be able to float. It must weigh less than the amount of water it
displaces, else it will have neutral (or worse, negative) buoyancy.

Having said this, how do I determine how much it weighs, from
limited information, without being there to weigh it?

That said, for documentation purposes the Coast Guard refers to
a tonnage (don't recall if they call it displacement) that relates
only to boat volume, not the weight.

This is very interesting. It also has nothing to do with what I
asked originally. I cannot see inquiring of the Coast Guard about
the tonnage or volume of a 28 foot motor boat. What can they tell
me about how much this vessel weighs, by me inquiring about the
volume of the boat?

I do not understand where you were going with this.

Do you have anything to add that will address the original question?

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Ante Topic Mimara

Doug Dotson writes:

Just give the DOT a call.

DOT? This is Federal Department of Transportation, and not for
a single State, I presume?

They can tell you the bottom line instantly.

Fantastic idea! Thank you!

10'6" is definately wide for towing, but I don't think it is
wider than a standard tractor-trailer.

Truthfully, this width thing never occurred to me.

None of this has anything to do with weight and displacement
though.

Yes, it doesn't. Can you add anything to address this question?
Thank you so much for your other information.
---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Ante Topic Mimara

Jere Lull writes:

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I am having trouble attempting to determine the weight of
a boat, with limited information about it. snip
Displacement: 6,075 lbs
Draft: 2'-2"

Is it possible to determine how much this vessel weighs from
this sort of information?

As it happens, we're about 1000# heavier and about the same size,
though taller. A couple of Xan's sisters are hauled on trailers,
but not often. Pretty much one round trip a year.

What kind of motor boat do you have?

Expect your weight and displacement to be roughly equivalent.

Would this not be the same thing as the neutral buoyancy issue?

Add a trailer and gear you're in the 7-8000# range, possibly
higher.

Yes, I can see that adding a trailer will add some weight. I
was just hoping to get some idea of how much, in addition to
determining the weight of the boat as well.

You're talking a pretty good-sized tow vehicle and a fairly
expensive trailer unless you can adapt a used one.

I do not know if a trailer is available, so I assume not. I
believe I will have to have one made, if I can find out what
the weight of the vessel is.

[If you have a cradle, it can be secured to a flat bed, BTW.]

What is a "cradle" as it applies to boat trailers? I have never
seen any other kind of boat trailer that the boat does anything
but sit on top of the trailer. Is this something I must add, for
safety or travel?

As I recall, I was told a 150 with a tow package can handle
it in a pinch, but a 250 is better.

I'm totally lost here. To what kind of vehicles do you refer?

Splashing and retrieving the boat in can be a hassle, but you
might be able to float it off and on at a good ramp.

All of the boats I have seen people back into the lakes and river
around here, just back up, and the boat floats off the trailer.

Is there another way of doing it that I do not know about?

Otherwise, you'll need a hoist/lift.

I am not familiar with this.

If you have a wooden mast, add the use of a crane.

Mast? There is no mast on this boat. It is a 28 foot long
Grandy Sedan Cruiser. It has no masts that I know of.

All these things cost. When I ran the numbers, I found I could
pay a professional to haul it back and forth each season for
years and years before matching the initial outlay on the towing
equipment. Was even cheaper to let the marina haul and store.

I deeply appreciate your writing all you did, but it does not mean
anything to me. I do not know about many of these things to which
you refer.

I just want to find out if it is feasible to be able to move this
boat between the river and the lakes around here, or take it to
the coast on a trailer (150 miles) so that I can go up and down
the coast, without following the river to the coast (220 miles)
on a trailer.

Thanks for all the other information though!

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Ante Topic Mimara

Doug Dotson writes:

Just give the DOT a call.

DOT? This is Federal Department of Transportation, and not for
a single State, I presume?

They can tell you the bottom line instantly.

Fantastic idea! Thank you!

10'6" is definately wide for towing, but I don't think it is
wider than a standard tractor-trailer.

Truthfully, this width thing never occurred to me.

None of this has anything to do with weight and displacement
though.

Yes, it doesn't. Can you add anything to address this question?
Thank you so much for your other information.
---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Boat Displacement Brian D Boat Building 2 July 3rd 03 03:44 AM