Default WHAT IF?

Bruce in Bangkok tried to justify his failure at circumnavigating by writing
the following load of self-serving crap:

"As I once told you, "I'm half way round the world and you are sittingin a
Florida swamp", so who's the sailor. Peter is half way round the world, and
you are still sitting in the swamp, so who's the sailor.

"You can talk all you want but until you actually do sail your comments have
about the same value as a dog baying at the moon.

"But you were talking about "Real Sailors", right? How about you tell us why
a Real Sailor is afraid to use his real name or real address. It sounds to
me as though you are afraid of the whole world, Wilbur Hubard, he of the
tiny testicles......"

Gratuitous insults to deflect the most valid assertion that Bruce is a
failure.

Look at it this way. NASA says they are going to land a man on Mars by 2015.
2015 rolls around and they haven't managed to land a man on Mars. So they
come out with a press release that states: "NASA succeeds in it's mission!
NASA is happy to announce that we have landed a man on the Moon. Never mind
that our original goal was to land a man on Mars. We consider that we are a
total success because we at least got about halfway to Mars. So we're stuck
on the Moon, that's better than France has done. They haven't even got to
the Moon. Yes, we at NASA are proud of our accomplishments and anybody who
says we failed is just plain wrong."

Ridiculous? You bet. Yet this is the very same rationale that Bruce in
Bangkok uses. He started out attempting a circumnavigation but failed and
ended up only doing a semi-circumnavigation. But he thinks his failed effort
should be applauded because it went further than somebody else's who never
even aspired to go 'round again. (three times is enough)

After the failure and after the fact, Bruce attempts to justify the failure
by couching it in terms of success. But halfway to a goal is not success. We
all know that. It is failure any way you look at it.

The hapless skipper of the scuttled motor sailer, "Red Cloud" is another
example of this bankrupt thinking and finger pointing in a failed attempt to
minimize his own failure to reach his stated goal. He claims at least he
started towards his goal. This is pathetic and illogical reasoning inspired
by the inability to admit failure.

It is better to plan a trip down to the local grocery store in your SUV and
succeed in your shopping excursion than to plan a circumnavigation or a
coffee run and fail utterly at it, or fail half way at it. In the same
manner, even that fool Bobsprit who used to brag about his little day sails
on Long Island Sound is a more accomplished sailor because at least he
finished what he started out to do. The same cannot be said about Bruce
stuck at the Bangkok dock and the "Red Cloud" coon ass.

I have spoken.

Wilbur Hubbard

A brilliant, thoughtful piece. I, too, am sickened at this attitude that
trying and failing is always better than not trying at all. That line of
reasoning can be used to justify anything and dismiss the negative
consequences. "A man has got to know his limitations" was a catch phrase of
the actor Clint Eastwood. Trying, failing and receiving praise is in the
province of children or a feminized society. Real men try until they
succeed. Failure is failure and the failure is even greater when they don't
try again.

Success rarely comes from luck, it comes from planning, knowledge, creating
contingencies and fortitude. "At least he tried" is the consolation prize
for girly men.

General Patton once said:

"When you were kids you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest
runner, big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner
and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I
wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why
Americans have never lost and will never lose a war, because the very
thought of losing is hateful to Americans. "

Do we admire the sailor who scuttles his own ship? No, we make a comedy show
out of it, something along the lines of Gilligan's Island. But even
Gilligan's Island is true to natural law. It is not the blundering idiot
Gilligan who elevates the lives of the shipwrecked, no, it is a learned
man - the Professor, a man who tries until he succeeds.

If trying is good enough then we should all pay tribute to the doctor who
removes only 1/2 of the cancerous growth, to the cops who almost caught the
serial murderer, to the teacher whose students may learn to read in the next
grade, to the airplane pilot who got a wheel onto the runway, to the
politician who will negotiate peace with barbarians (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_TD3mgGJoY ).

There is a mountain of corpses as a result of those who tried and failed.
What tribute do we pay them?

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

On Jul 2, 10:09*pm, "Popeye" another Nealbur creation
wrote:

There is a mountain of corpses as a result of those who tried and failed.
What tribute do we pay them?

These are all tributes to those who have gone go down to the sea and
died.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n-cemetery.png

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/3...b15c28.jpg?v=0

http://www.dailyushistory.com/Images...emorial_Lg.jpg

http://www.sirpeterblaketrust.org/trust/partners/

http://pgoh13.free.fr/thewave_larochelle.jpg

You can find hundred who inspired others and the tributes erected to
honor them

You Nealbur will never understand.

Fred

I have spoken.

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:10:32 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok tried to justify his failure at circumnavigating by writing
the following load of self-serving crap:

"As I once told you, "I'm half way round the world and you are sittingin a
Florida swamp", so who's the sailor. Peter is half way round the world, and
you are still sitting in the swamp, so who's the sailor.

"You can talk all you want but until you actually do sail your comments have
about the same value as a dog baying at the moon.

"But you were talking about "Real Sailors", right? How about you tell us why
a Real Sailor is afraid to use his real name or real address. It sounds to
me as though you are afraid of the whole world, Wilbur Hubard, he of the
tiny testicles......"

Gratuitous insults to deflect the most valid assertion that Bruce is a
failure.

Gratuitous Insults? Which comment do you object to? The one where I
say I am half way round? Peter is half way round? That you are sitting
in a Florida swamp? That you are afraid of the world and that is why
you post under a false name and a fake Internet address? Tell us Oh
Great Sailor, which statement do you disagree with?

I have cut most of your post as it is simply an off topic attempt to
cover up the fact that my comments are correct and you are, in fact,
not a sailor and your frequent rants are of equal value to a dog's
yapping at the moon.

In fact Willie I have decided that you and your comments are of no
value and so have decided to comment virtual murder and Willie, he of
tiny testicles, is now in the Kill File.

Gone, like a turd in the toilet bowl..

I have spoken.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce-in-Bangkok

wrote:

[...]

Yet another ignorant putz who cannot abide the truth about his failure
decides to tuck tail and run. Seems like an epidemic of it around here
lately. Can't face the facts? Run! Can't justify a failed position? Clap
hands over ears and mouth and yell LA LA LA LA LA LA!
Fail to reach your goals? Then downgrade or half them to make your failure
seem like success to you. Yes, that's the ticket! Rationalizing fools. Weak
spined losers! Bad examples.

Unlike you who runs and hides I, Wilbur Hubbard, will continue to read your
posts and will continue to point out your folly and lies. The rest of the
group can benefit from my experience and insight not to mention my eyes and
ears wide open. This is necessary for success in any pursuit. Perhaps one of
the main reasons you failed in yours. You closed your senses and your mind
to the facts. You ignored reality. You then change reality to suit your
failure so that it seems like success. But to you only. The rest of us know
better.

And one more thing, a real sailor doesn't flush the toilet - he empties the
cedar bucket over the side. But, I guess you can't do that sitting at a
dock, now can you?

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:57:10 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Jesus Wilbur, but you are a piece of work, aren't you?

Here is a guy that effectively calls you a liar, a coward and a fool
and you don't even defend yourself. But then, perhaps you can't, eh?

A fool who knows his foolishness is wise
at least to that extent, but a fool who
thinks himself wise is a fool indeed.