Ronald

Default Dingy hanging from mast

Are there any concerns with hanging my Dingy from the mast? It's an 8 foot
rib about 100-130 lbs

Thanks
Armond Perretta

Ronald wrote:

Are there any concerns with hanging my Dingy from the mast? ...

It doesn't bother me, but of course I can't speak for others.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Steve

If you have a wire halyard, I would be concerned with the side pull.. This
can cut into the alum. cheek of the shieve box in the mast head. If the
shieve does not fit properly in the shieve box, the wire halyard may slip
between the shieve and cheek. (this can happen with any extreme side pull)
I've seen this happen.

If you have synthetic halyards the same problem may cause chaff of the
halyard.

My rule is not to lead the halyard beyond what the mast head shieve is
intended for. If I want to hoist something like the dingy, I haul a block
and line or block and tackle up the mast and 'two-block' it and then haul on
the secondary rig. Or if the load is going to be forward of the mast, use
the spinniker halyard since it's attactment is intended to lead off at
extreme angles.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jim

I have a neighbor who leaves his inflatable hanging by it's bow handle
from his mast ALL THE TIME. Just swinging back and forth....

I'll bet he's got the house with the chain link fence in the front, with
cars on blocks in the yard.

That isn't what you have in mind, is it?

Ronald wrote:

Are there any concerns with hanging my Dingy from the mast? It's an 8 foot
rib about 100-130 lbs

Thanks

Ronald

Sounds like you are unhappy with your neighbor... but, no, that is NOT
what I had in mind.. nor do I have a chain link fence for that matter.. I
simply do not have enough room in my slip to float the dingy.

Ronald.

Armond Perretta

Ronald wrote:
Sounds like you are unhappy with your neighbor...

snip
Ronald.

Ronald, to whom is this reply addressed? I have posted to this thread, and
if necessary I want to extend the courtesy of a reply if appropriate.
However when all is aid and done I only have just so much time to try to
figure whether a reply is warranted.

Warmest regards,

Armond

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.home.comcast.net/

Terry Spragg

Ronald wrote:
Are there any concerns with hanging my Dingy from the mast? It's an 8 foot
rib about 100-130 lbs

Thanks

Gezze, after all the moaning with halyards going dink-dink-dink in
the breeze, you'd think someone might think again befor hanging a
dinghy up to go BONG_BONG_BONG, eh?

Fiberglass or aluminium?

Terry K

Armond Perretta

Ronald wrote:
Armond,

this was in relpy to:

"I have a neighbor who leaves his inflatable hanging by it's bow
handle from his mast ALL THE TIME. Just swinging back and forth....
I'll bet he's got the house with the chain link fence in the front,
with cars on blocks in the yard.
That isn't what you have in mind, is it?"

Ronald.

Thanks for the clarification, Ronald. You may in future find it beneficial
to set your browser to display all or part of the message to which you are
replying. This technique seems in many cases to allow readers to better
follow long or complex threads.

Good luck with your hanging dinghy, er ... dinghy hanging.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.home.comcast.net/

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
mast steps - fastep? bruce General 0 January 23rd 04 03:24 AM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM
Segmented Mast for R. Nymph? John L. Boat Building 4 July 21st 03 05:09 PM