Jim

Default When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection...HANG UP!! ____ UGYAiMGRr

Had a call at 8:00 this AM from a collection agency. I had opened a
charge account with 90 days free interest. Couldn't understand the
caller (and wasn't in a good mood, since she woke me up), asked to speak
to a supervisor, who also spoke broken english. I asked where he was
calling from and you guessed it -- India. Told him to never call me
again, and was so steamed I came down and paid the bill in full (I had
intended to pay it the first of the month), closed the account and
enclosed a note to GE credit that until they assured me that they had
local (US) call centers, would not avail myself of their services again.

The bill was not overdue, but a close reading of the fine print told me
that I was to make a monthly payment (in spite of the fact that I had 90
days to pay, and was well within the 90 day limit)

Copies to GE corperate, and S&K menswear (where I had opened the account)

Brian D wrote:
Hear hear! My job used to be rock solid and now I, and everyone else I know
on the job are always in fear of the next 'offshore outsourcing' that will
cause the local organization to be unneeded anymore. It's real, I know.
It's been happening more and more in the blue-chip company that I work for
and there's no slowing down...

Brian

http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

wrote in message

When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!!
-
I think you must know what I'm talking about. Together, a heavy foreign

accent,

coupled with a lousy phone connection can only mean one thing... An

outsourced

operation, in a place like India, China, The Philippines, etc.; where some
greedy American corporation is saving a few pieces of Silver and

displacing

American workers in the process.
-
The best thing you can do is hang up... look for the companies' on-shore

counterpart

and complain! Tell them you're sick and tired of sub-standard services by

people

who speak English so poorly that you can hardly communicate... are most

often

poorly trained... have little accountability for the advice they give

you... often can't be

heard clearly because of a poor satellite phone connection... conveniently

block

their caller-ID... give themselves phony names like 'Tina' or 'Jimmy' (to

deceive you

into thinking they're local) and most often provide no avenue to escalate

an issue

to someone who can really help.
-
Corporations will only end this practice if they see they're losing their

customer

base as a consequence. Let's start doing our part by starting a

grass-roots

movement...
-
When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Brian Nystrom

Brian D wrote:
When our government QUITs letting illegal people remain here and QUITs
letting more in, and QUITs giving tax breaks to corporations moving
operations overseas and STARTs imposing high excise taxes on import ...THEN
you'll see American speaking English and working American jobs.

Sure, then all the cheap products and services we've gotten used to will
disappear or increase dramatically in price, so your higher wages won't
buy you a damn thing. It's nice to sling simple answers around, but the
economy is far too complex for them to be useful. All this whining about
"outsourcing" and "offshoring" is nothing but a huge red herring. This
is nothing new (it's been going on for decades) and it accounts for only
~10% of the job losses we've suffered. The only difference now is in the
types of jobs that are going overseas. It used to be only blue-collar
manufacturing jobs, but now that it's white-collar tech and service jobs
too, people are getting all worked up over it.

If we continue to demand cheap products and services - something that
isn't likely to change - the trend to move jobs offshore will continue
too. Protectionism has never worked, it never will and it's not the
answer. Whether you like the global economy or not, it's reality. We all
have to live with it and adapt to it. The key to improving the job
market is to get the economy rolling again, but that takes time. The
indications are good, but it's not going to happen overnight, no matter
how much we complain or who's running the country.

Brian Nystrom

Brian D wrote:

We consume the most and have the most leverage.

Therin lies a big part of the problem. We can't be both the biggest
consumer and the biggest exporter. We over-consume and end up having to
live with a huge trade deficit. It's our own fault.

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:24:32 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

I've had to learn two new languages, here in Charleston,
SC.....Spanish, so I can communicate on the street....and Hindi so I
can communicate on the phone.

The thing is Larry, all the rest of us have to learn a new language just
to go to Charleston. :-)

Now, that's not quite true! Geechees have to learn a new language
just to go to the state capital. No wonder they don't think
Charleston is part of South Carolina...hee hee.

Tell you what, we'll start our own reality show. I'll put you in a
car and drive you out to Rockville on the end of Wadmalaw Island, just
south of The City. We'll set a time limit, say 3 weeks, and see if
you can communicate in SC Coastal Gullah that you'd like to come back
to town. Should be very interesting! I fix the church organs out on
the outer islands for the United Methodists, African
Methodist-Episcopal (AME) and Baptists. I already speak Gullah,
Geechee and English. Why do I have to learn more languages??

If we'd had any sense, we'd have let the Gullah speakers take over
secure communications in WW2, as well as the Navahos. The Germans
would have stood no chance at all of reading our secure message
traffic.................and noone would have needed a code book...(c;

Larry W4CSC
POWER is our friend!
nospam

Default When you hear the Heavy Accent (outsourcing and immigration debate)

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:00:52 -0800, "Ed Price"
wrote:

In re the immigration debate.

It's called "invasion and conquest by immigration" and I'm afraid it's
gone so far there is no hope of liberating ourselves unless, of
course, the French are willing to come over and do for us what we did
for them a few years back. Highly uinlikely since France, with its
own immigration/conquest is rapidly becoming a Muslim-controlled
nation and God knows Islam is not going to do anything for us Infidels
other than dispatch us straight to Hell with not even 20 virgins to
accompany us..

Somebody in this thread said the Democrats are to blame for seeking to
expand their power base by catering to them so that they could be
added to Democratic voter roles. This was probably true in the
beginning but the Republicans are now Hell bent on catching up, viz
George XLII and his pandering to them via "legalization" proposals.

Some mush-brained fool--probably a univ. prof.--said, in a preceding
thread, how wonderful it was that this invasion is allowing us to
incorporate new words into our language. I guess his mind is back in
1066. He probably believes that we, the English-speaking population
of this country, will benefit just as the primitives of the British
Isles benefited from Guillaume's little invasion. Of course,
Guillaume did it honestly at Hastings. He didn't sneak his invaders
across the Channel (substitute Rio Grande) in small groups over
decades. More significantly, William didn't have a band of academic
fifth-columnists undermining his target with drivelings about
"multi-culturalism."

In any case we better all learn to face the east when we pray (after
all, our president said it was "one of the world's great religions"
and we sure as hell better learn Spanish because our culture is bound
to disappear as the invaders show no interest at all in adopting our
language and our culture. The great promise of "multiculturalism"
doesn't really hold out much hope if we only look at the mayhem it is
producing in the rest of the world today. And if only some of these
addle-brained academics who are forming the minds of the next
generation would take a look at the writings of their not-too-distant
predecesors they would see that "multiculturalism" was the principal
cause of the collapse of the Roman Empire. The decline really began
when Rome began to grant its precious "citizenship" to all comers.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

JimB

Some pretty heavy stuff in this thread.

You'd never guess that some of it is coming from the descendants
of a group of immigrants who almost wiped out a whole native
population . . .

JimB

wrote:

[...]

Gould 0738

Some pretty heavy stuff in this thread.

You'd never guess that some of it is coming from the descendants
of a group of immigrants who almost wiped out a whole native
population . . .

That, in its time, displaced an even older population in the same hemisphere.

Kennewick Man.

The more we learn, the more amazing the human story becomes. It's why we should
welcome more cultural traditions.............
(but those who bring said traditions should immigrate legally)
JimB

Gould 0738 wrote in message
Some pretty heavy stuff in this thread.

You'd never guess that some of it is coming from the

descendants
of a group of immigrants who almost wiped out a whole native
population . . .

That, in its time, displaced an even older population in the

same hemisphere.

Kennewick Man.

The more we learn, the more amazing the human story becomes.

It's why we should
welcome more cultural traditions.............
(but those who bring said traditions should immigrate legally)

In spite of the economic pressures 'sucking' them across the
borders? Ah, I forgot, there's no such force as suction!

Gould 0738

In a related vein......

There must be something dreadful happening in Africa! Maybe a political
uprising, or a deadly plague that is being kept secret from us all. If you have
any relatives in Africa, encourage them to move
off the continent as soon as possible.

In the last week, I must have received a e-mail dozen notices that oil company
executives had died in Africa, leaving substantial fortunes behind. Believe it
or not, every one of these people listed *me* as next of kin! If so many people
are dying in Africa that a
whole boatload of relatives I never even heard of
have redently kicked the bucket, think what the overall death rate must be.

Truly astonishing.

Guess I should start shopping for that new multi-million dollar yacht. With all
these mysterious oil company relatives dying off, it will be more affordable
than ever.

Point: Laws against spam in the US won't stop offshore spammers from continuing
their pain in the butt practices.
Jim

Gould 0738 wrote:
[...]

Suggest you respond with this

http://www.flooble.com/fun/proposal.php

An automatic letter generator allowing you to tell them
about the Great reward they can get by sending you money