Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
rhys

Default Pilot houses for ocean cruising?

Starting a new thread because "Best bluewater 34 footer" is getting
insanely off-topic:

Frank Maier said:

Another of my prejudices is that I don't wanna have a pilothouse out
on the deep blue; so, I'd be looking for a non-pilothouse version.

Why is that? Me, I've always thought the advantages of a pilothouse,
or at least a hard dodger/bimini, were substantial if it was
well-integrated into the rest of the deck and the controls were
logical. I like the idea of hard points for rails, handgrips, places
to lash the boom, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean a pilot house,
but it does mean more than the typical enclosed bimini/dodger on light
steel tubing.

R.