Default March 14 - On the road again...

On Jun 22, 8:09*pm, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:13:57 -0700 (PDT), Bob said:

If you dont like what i write dont
read it... For god sakes get a life.

I wasn't commenting on what you write about. I was commenting on your manner
of expressing yourself.

Like Nealbur Bob is bitter and it shows clearly everytime he speaks.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

Fred

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 26, 8:19*am, wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:09*pm, Dave wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:13:57 -0700 (PDT), Bob said:

If you dont like what i write dont
read it... For god sakes get a life.

I wasn't commenting on what you write about. I was commenting on your manner
of expressing yourself.

Like Nealbur Bob is bitter and it shows clearly everytime he speaks.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

Fred

Dear Fred:

I repeat:
If you dont like what i write dont
read it... For god sakes get a life.
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message

Dear Fred:

I repeat:
If you dont like what i write dont
read it... For god sakes get a life.
Bob

Don't blame "Fred." He's bitter because he a Texan now forced to live in
Connecticut. Seems that when he prematurely abandoned his boat in the Gulf
she foundered and was sunk. Her whereabouts forever unknown. By not she's a
rusty red cloud as portended by one with foresight - Barnacle Bill the
sailor.

But, the good news is McDonald's recognized the poor man's plight and
offered him a job in management instead of what he used to do, slaving over
the deep fryer at minimum wage. He's training to be in charge of the coffee
makers. He's got experience in that field. Turns out his erstwhile vessel is
still making coffee as we speak. It's slowly leaching out of the rusting
hulk of a hull in a couple of thousand feet of water.

So unfortunate by virtue of the fact that it was totally avoidable given
informed, stern and manly seamanship in lieu of "cut and run". (Strange how
an individual's firm rejection of cut and run in Iraq did not seem to extend
to his personal life.) I shall miss the posts and pictures about sailing
from a young fellow who seemed to have some potential to be a blue water
sailor but failed to live up to that potential. It brings a tear to my eye.
I don't often misjudge folks' abilities to succeed at sea.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

Does that mean you hate the Gulf of Mexico?

--
Gregory Hall

On Jun 26, 11:57*am, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
wrote in message

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

Does that mean you hate the Gulf of Mexico?

--
Gregory Hall

Nealbur why would I hate the Gulf of Mexico?

If you still think I'm Joe thats OK, he has 100Xs the guts you have.
I'm sure he has a new boat, and still moving forward with his plans.
Unlike you a coward afraid to venture anywhere Joe will re-group and
succeed. You will stay here telling everyone how cautious and trifty
you are. But we all know the coward calls himself cautious, the miser
thrifty.

Fred

On Jun 26, 11:52*am, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:19:41 -0700 (PDT), said:

Like Nealbur Bob is bitter and it shows clearly everytime he speaks.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

LOL. Well spoke.

In that light his posts become almost as entertaining to read as Neal's.
Same pathology, different symptoms.

Wilbur has such a low self esteem he is intimidated by anyone who
leaves the dock or mooring. He hates that other do, while he sits
around too afraid to toss off the mooring line, even if his is only
tied to the bed pan at the old folks home.

Fred

Guys with a lot of experience claim when that sort of line break occurs,
it's almost always a shark responsible.

Anchoring problems there were probably not smooth rock but oyster bed. I
hit an oyster bed just south of there so dense that it too fooled me
into thinking it was limestone. A fellow nearby clued me in. He'd dived
on it.

-paul

On Jun 22, 7:23*am, Paul Cassel
wrote:
Guys with a lot of experience claim when that sort of line break occurs,
it's almost always a shark responsible.

Could be but 20 pound test is very light tackle. With line that light
you'll need to stop the boat or even back it down and take it really
easy for any decent sized ocean fish. I hand line and use 200 pound
test and I've had that broken twice. With a reel you can set the drag
light enough to use small line but you'll need to play them all day.
If you want to catch fish (rather than records) I think 60-80lb plus
10+ feet of 200-300lb leader is about right... With reasonably heavy
tackle you can pull them right in and kill them fast. For fish less
than about 30lbs you can just grab the leader and lift the fish
aboard, throw a towel over it and brain it.

-- Tom.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 22, 7:23?am, Paul Cassel
wrote:
Guys with a lot of experience claim when that sort of line break occurs,
it's almost always a shark responsible.

Could be but 20 pound test is very light tackle. With line that light
you'll need to stop the boat or even back it down and take it really
easy for any decent sized ocean fish. I hand line and use 200 pound
test and I've had that broken twice. With a reel you can set the drag
light enough to use small line but you'll need to play them all day.
If you want to catch fish (rather than records) I think 60-80lb plus
10+ feet of 200-300lb leader is about right... With reasonably heavy
tackle you can pull them right in and kill them fast. For fish less
than about 30lbs you can just grab the leader and lift the fish
aboard, throw a towel over it and brain it.

A few things that may or may not be relevant, because they're
elementary fishing advice.
Knots - are you using the "improved clinch knot" to tie off line to
leader/lure? Any curl at the break point indicates the line broke at
the knot. As I recall testing showed the improved clinch was good for
95% of line test strength. Other knots were in the 80% or less range.
Line degradation - Sun and fraying/nicking greatly reduces line
strength.
Drag - a smooth consistent drag is essential. Depending on how much
attention you're paying to the rod, having it initially set as light
as possible is best.
This allows you to gradually tighten it as needed to tire the fish
before it can break the line or run it all out, instead of giving it
the opportunity to apply all its strength to the line when its
strength is at its greatest.
But if you're not paying attention chances are higher a big one runs
the line off the spool and takes it all.

--Vic

On Jun 22, 9:07*am, Vic Smith wrote:
Drag - a smooth consistent drag is essential. *Depending on how much
attention you're paying to the rod, having it initially set as light
as possible is best.
This allows you to gradually tighten it as needed to tire the fish
before it can break the line or run it all out, instead of giving it
the opportunity to apply all its strength to the line when its
strength is at its greatest. ...

All good points.

Just to editorialize a bit: Light tackle is the thing if you're into
torturing fish to death. If you just want to slay them use heavy
tackle and close the drag right down as soon as they're hooked. If
you just want to kill the ones you are going to eat and avoid all by-
catch and missed hook-ups, get into the water, choose carefully and
then shoot your fish with a spear.

Also, if you're going to leave a line out behind your boat for days on
end a thimble or other chafe protector is a good idea where you knot
or crimp your line.

-- Tom.

March GLC [email protected] Power Boat Racing 0 February 29th 04 10:17 PM
March GLC [email protected] General 0 February 29th 04 10:17 PM
March GLC [email protected] Tall Ships 0 February 29th 04 10:15 PM
March GLC [email protected] Crew 0 February 29th 04 10:15 PM
March GLC [email protected] General 0 February 29th 04 10:13 PM