Trent D. Sanders

Default Islander 29 question

I have a question about my Islander 29 and wondered if anyone out
there might have any insight.

My water tank is in the bilge under the floorboards. But someone in
the far distant past has fiberglassed the floorboards into place. So
I can't get at the tank, other than a small access hole for filling,
unless I grind out the fiberglass to remove the floorboards.

I suspect that the former owner, who took this boat around the world,
might have glassed the floorboards in so the tank wouldn't come loose
in heavy seas or a roll-over ????

Does anyone know if all the Islander 29's were this way? Is there
some structural requirement that the floorboards be glassed into
place?

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey
Southern California
Jonathan

Hi,
If you haven't found it yet, you might try the following Islander
website as a source of information for your boat. I am the former owner
of an I44, and found all kinds of general and useful stuff prior to the
boats departure and my becoming a Pearson owner.

http://www.islandersailboats.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

BTW, my tanks were under the floorboards and under the forward v berth,
you would have to dis-assemble the boat to get them out.

Later,

Jonathan