Chuck Wistar

Default Insurance for cruising liveaboards

Having sold our cars as we moved aboard to continuously cruise, we no longer
have car insurance, obviously. However, when we occasionally rent a car we
get killed by the insurance fees.

Does anyone know a way to get the collision, liability, etc., coverage one
normally has on an auto policy that would be in effect when we rent a car?

Doug Dotson

My credit card has rental car insurance as well. Used it a few
weeks ago. Turns out that it only covers the deductable on
your regular insurance. You either have to have your own
insurance or purchase what the rental car company offers as
the major coverage and the credit card fills in the deductable.

Doug
s/v Callista

"bowgus" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
My credit card includes the extra coverage with a rental ... maybe give

that
a looksee ... never exercised it though.

"Chuck Wistar" wrote in message
news
Having sold our cars as we moved aboard to continuously cruise, we no

longer
have car insurance, obviously. However, when we occasionally rent a car

we
get killed by the insurance fees.

Does anyone know a way to get the collision, liability, etc., coverage

one
normally has on an auto policy that would be in effect when we rent a

car?

Parallax

"bowgus" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
My credit card includes the extra coverage with a rental ... maybe give that
a looksee ... never exercised it though.

"Chuck Wistar" wrote in message
news
Having sold our cars as we moved aboard to continuously cruise, we no

longer
have car insurance, obviously. However, when we occasionally rent a car we
get killed by the insurance fees.

Does anyone know a way to get the collision, liability, etc., coverage one
normally has on an auto policy that would be in effect when we rent a car?

Get an American Express card that covers rental car insurance. I once
had a rental car destroyed by a tornado, they covered it.