Matt Colie

Default T-Ball shroud fittings

jeanette,

T-ball filling take a key-hole shape cut out in the spar (you could do
that), and the is some sort of a part fit in or a doubler or such
inside. I'm sure they can be purchased.

But ----

What do you hope to gain??

Matt Colie

From: jeannette )

Hi all,

What do you think of T-ball shroud fittings?. I see a lot of new boats
with these. I am re-rigging and was thinking of replacing the very old
tangs.

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

jeannette

Well, I am going one size bigger on the rigging. From 1/4" to 9/32.
The tangs at the top of the mast seem pretty weak to me. They are
Stainless straps about 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick bolted thru the mast.
The clevis pins are 3/8". To put the new 9/32 eye connectors I would
have to drill the hole in the tang to 1/2". I don't like that idea so
then I thought to replace the tangs with a beefier one, like 1" 1/4 by
3/16 stainless. Then I thought why not use these new T-balls?.
I know how to install them since I used one for the inner forestay.
The thing is I can't find any info on how good they are.

Jeannette

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:33:27 -0500, Matt Colie
wrote:

jeanette,

T-ball filling take a key-hole shape cut out in the spar (you could do
that), and the is some sort of a part fit in or a doubler or such
inside. I'm sure they can be purchased.

But ----

What do you hope to gain??

Matt Colie

Steve

This type of upper shroud fitting sure would reduce weight and windage
however you may change your mind when you see the price of those fittings.

I don't know about the cost for wire but I looked into it for my rod rigging
and the cost was out of sight, by the time I figured the mast fitting and
the tee end fitting.

Then, I'm not sure if the standard swaging tools at the riggers shop can do
these Tee fittings. It may or may not require anything special.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

From: jeannette )

Hi all,

What do you think of T-ball shroud fittings?. I see a lot of new boats
with these. I am re-rigging and was thinking of replacing the very old
tangs.

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

Jeanette, I personally wouldn´t touchj them with a barge pole... There
have been various reports of them breaking due, it sems, to them
jamming out of alignment and fatiguing the swage. You can find new
tangs without too much trouble to replace the old ones.
john