Default Best Boat Guns?

Steve Lusardi wrote:
This request is not a joke. It is a very serious question to a very serious
issue. Piracy is very real, it is everywhere, even within our own home
waters. The reasons may be drug related or simple theft, but the result can
be as severe as loss of life. Now for you gunk holers that venture as far as
the entrance of the bay, this information probably isn't much use, but for
the serious long distance sailor see www.icc-ccs.org There you can request
the latest report on Piracy from the IMO. It is very interesting reading.
You will find advice as well, but firearms are not mentioned.
Steve

All incidents in the normal piracy areas.
If you are gunkholing in Somalia, you may have a case!
Gordon

On Thu, 29 May 2008 19:47:54 -0600, "Whizbang McGurk"
wrote:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/DianaYang.shtml

Those are the ranges in every book and magazine and most gunshop gab.
This stuff is no secret. There are tens of millions of shotguns
around.

I figured 60 yards for geese which are a big target. It is much less
for quail. They are are small, requiring a dense pattern. Answer is
many smaller shot bearing in mind that the smaller shot start out with
less energy and lose it faster. I figure thirty yards for quail. Note
that you use full choke for geese and something with a wider pattern
for quail. I am a 25 yard shooter myself. In the case of pheasants, I
spot them in a roadside ditch, sneak up to within five yards, and blow
their heads to rags. Easy shot, like nailing a copter that took off
one second beford. Let then get high enough for a nasty fall, Almost a
motionless target. Same with the birds. The head and neck present a
four inch target, same as skeet. Not that hard. I hunt in Iowa, by the
way. People come from distant places to hunt the pheasants.
If you have one of the special rifled slug barrels they recently
invented, you can get 4 inch groups at 100 yards. Shotguns for deer
are required in some places, including Iowa.

Casady

On May 30, 5:10*am, wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 11:45:59 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

This request is not a joke.

The Guy's boat is on the floor of the GOM with 4000 feet of water over it. If he
needs a gun, it's probably so he can shoot himself for being so stupid.

It is a very serious question to a very serious

issue. Piracy is very real, it is everywhere, even within our own home
waters. The reasons may be drug related or simple theft, but the result can
be as severe as loss of life. Now for you gunk holers that venture as far as
the entrance of the bay, this information probably isn't much use, but for
the serious long distance sailor seewww.icc-ccs.org*There you can request
the latest report on Piracy from the IMO. It is very interesting reading.
You will find advice as well, but firearms are not mentioned.
Steve

wrote in message
What's the best boat gun to have.
What should I look for in a good boat gun (Pistol & Rifles).

Should you declare you have weapons aboard or just have a good stash
spot for overseas cruising?

Please no Wilbur answers. I'm looking for real knowledge and practical
experience, not wanna-be advice.

Fred- Hide quoted text -

Yo BB, Salty, Mike Manners, asshole.

My name is Fred
http://www.mikemanners.com/

Fred

wrote:

[...]

I guess if someone wants to go deer hunting on their boat the shotgun is a
fine choice. Suppose some marauders come at you underway and they have an
AK-47 (7.62 x 39). Do you think a shotgun will hold them off? They could
shot at you all day from 200 yds and you can't do a thing. The AK-47 is the
preferred choice of pirates. A large capacity pistol is better in close
quarters than a shotgun, that's why police use them as primary weapons. For
longer ranges I prefer an autoloading .338 which I shot offhand remarkably
well. I shoot grouse and ptarmigan with an RWS air rifle. One shot through
the head does the trick.

On Fri, 30 May 2008 14:27:56 -0600, "JaxAshby"
wrote:

For
longer ranges I prefer an autoloading .338 which I shot offhand remarkably
well. I shoot grouse and ptarmigan with an RWS air rifle. One shot through
the head does the trick.

Try standing in the back of a moving truck, off road, and see what you
hit at longer ranges. What kind of boat do you plan to shoot pirates
from, a cruise ship, a boxboat, or what. A former member of the Army
team at Camp Perry, went to Africa, killed 92 head of big game with 93
shots, and took a rest every single time. This was one of the best
offhand shots ever. If you are good offhand past a hundred yards you
are certainly better than average. On opening day of deer season, you
pick a good ambush spot and wait. The big city hunters will keep the
deer moving, and you take your twenty five yard shot. Being a good
shot offhand is fine, but you can usually find a steadier position.
Askins did in Africa: 93shots for 92kills! Really knowing to shoot is
better than not, but if you really know how to hunt, you can usually
avoid difficult shooting. The best hunters prefer close and
motionless. With a rest. The expert shooters mostly feel that way,
just like the average shots Always use loaded dice and marked cards..

Casady

wrote:

For
longer ranges I prefer an autoloading .338 which I shot offhand remarkably
well. I shoot grouse and ptarmigan with an RWS air rifle. One shot through
the head does the trick.

The Browning, I presume. Always wanted a .338 BAR. Just the gun for
moose and large bears. Fine for deer and elk. Nothing but deer and
small game in Iowa, and the law mandates shotguns for deer. No use
locally for a big game rifle. Well, there is plinking to stay in
practice for the out of state safaris.

Casady

wrote in message
What's the best boat gun to have.
What should I look for in a good boat gun (Pistol & Rifles).

Should you declare you have weapons aboard or just have a good stash
spot for overseas cruising?

Please no Wilbur answers. I'm looking for real knowledge and practical
experience, not wanna-be advice.

Fred- Hide quoted text -

Yo BB, Salty, Mike Manners, asshole.

My name is Fred
http://www.mikemanners.com/

Fred

You jerk. But that is some fairly impressive source code on that website,
reflects well on the webmaster.

You You is offline

In article . com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

you a 50 caliper sniper rifle would be the best

Only Wilbur, would buy a "50 caliper" firearm.......

On Fri, 30 May 2008 14:27:56 -0600, "JaxAshby"
wrote:

They could shoot at you all day from 200 yds and you can't do a thing. The AK-47 is the
preferred choice of pirates.

At that range, they can shoot at you all day and not get a hit. The
AK has the worst accuracy in its class, by the way.

Casady

On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:24:23 +0000, You wrote:

In article . com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

you a 50 caliper sniper rifle would be the best

Only Wilbur, would buy a "50 caliper" firearm.......

don't you yankees have anything better to do than yap about guns?

More Guns Steve ASA 10 January 20th 07 11:22 PM
More Guns RICHARD ASA 1 January 16th 07 02:20 PM
More Guns Scotty ASA 14 January 15th 07 11:35 PM
More Guns Gilligan ASA 0 January 12th 07 04:16 AM
Guns joe bleau Cruising 8 October 25th 04 04:16 PM