BoatBanter.com

-   -   Anchorage identification and boarding techniques (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/93872-anchorage-identification-boarding-techniques.html)

Skip Gundlach April 18th 08 03:14 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

However, we used some of (we had to buy an entire reel) the red LED
rope lighting we have throughout our boat to illuminate the cockpit.
We'd originally thought of it for under-way use, but it's far too
bright for that application, red or not. It's impossible for anyone to
mistake this for a navigation light, as it forms an arc (~18" tall) on
the binnacle. It isn't a 2-mile visibility item, in any case, but it
does show up from perhaps a mile away as a very faint line (getting
brighter as you approach, of course). So, not only is it unique
(well, our cruising buddies who liked the idea so well they did it,
too, aside), it lights the cockpit as we board. Its overhead (recall
my electrical post budget/list) is all of 0.1A, just like our anchor
light, so we usually leave it lit all night when we're at anchor. It
helps us find Flying Pig, but also provides some deck-level lighting
for those in close range and impaired, assisting in avoiding (yes, I
know they're making better idiots every day) us, helping identify that
there's a boat there, even if they fail to notice the anchor light.
Those same red lights below tend to make the windows (well, ports!)
show up a bit better in the dark, too, helping us and others identify
the presence of Flying Pig!

To assist our boarding we have a remote-control LED stern deck light
(11x9 array - extremely bright, used in billboard illumination in
remote areas where batteries and solar panels power the lighting -
overhead 0.6A) which we activate as we approach, bathing our platform
and stern in visibility. That same light, if spreader lights and
foredeck light were not enough to highlight our presence to large
traffic which somehow didn't see us, could be aimed forward to our
sails...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 18th 08 03:56 PM

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

Most LEDs are generally not even legal for anchor light purposes. They tend
to be too directional in nature and are more like a mini-spotlight than the
required, two-mile minimum, 360 degree light. Nothing is more pathetic than
a half a million dollar yacht anchored using those pitifully weak, LED,
illegal, solar lawn lights but one sees them in use all the time. Sad!

For a good, bright, long-lasting anchor light one should go the compact
fluorescent route. Here is my suggestion:
http://www.servicelighting.com/catal...m?prod=TC10715

It will fit in a standard night light socket and it is such a powerful,
bright light with a very noticeable white (as opposed to the usual
yellow-looking feeble anchor light) Run it off your inverter hung from the
backstay about fifteen feet up. Don't use the photocell socket as compact
fluorescents are slowly damaged by the flicker effect that photocell sockets
cause when coming on and going off.

If this proves too bright for your purposes (It puts out close to what a 100
watt incandescent bulb produces) there are lower wattage examples available.
The four watt model is actually bright enough to be legal. But, if you want
to be able to pick your boat out even from five miles away the bulb linked
above is the way to go.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 18th 08 09:08 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:56:46 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

Most LEDs are generally not even legal for anchor light purposes. They
tend
to be too directional in nature and are more like a mini-spotlight than
the
required, two-mile minimum, 360 degree light.

What a dope! The LED mastlights are comprised of many leds mounted to
a cylinder inside a faceted lens. No problem whatsoever getting 360
degrees and two miles.

$300 and difficult to wire and mount. vs. $14.95 and an extension cord and
ten minutes to affix! Now, ask yourself who is the dope! And, in most yacht
anchorages small boat traffic is the only concern. Small boats don't
generally look way up in the sky for anchor lights. Anchor lights mounted at
the masthead are far less noticeable than one mounted ten or fifteen feet
high.

Now, run along little boy!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 18th 08 09:10 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Well, now we know he hasn't been in a marine supply store recently either.

And you also should know I don't fall for expensive gimmicks the likes of
which the typical, ignorant wannabe boater is enamored of. Anybody who pays
300 bucks for a LED light that does not work as well as a $14.95 compact
fluorescent bulb is a fool.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 18th 08 11:27 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Well, now we know he hasn't been in a marine supply store recently
either.

Anybody who pays 300 bucks for a LED light ....

Futher proof.

Further proof of what? That you don't have a clue? Check it out he

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/LOPOLIGHT.htm

See where it costs 350 dollars for the 2-mile LED anchor light?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 19th 08 12:41 AM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Pay what you want. My 2 nm LED anchor light was less than half that and a
very nice looking unit.

--
Roger Long

"Nice looking?" C'mon, now Roger. Since when has "nice looking" been the
guide to quality equipment? You get what you pay for and that's a fact. Top
of the line stuff costs big bucks. You either figure your boat and your
life's worth it or it's not.

Tell you what. The fifteen dollar compact fluorescent bulb does a better job
at lighting up my anchored Allied Seawind 32 than does the expensive LED.
The expensive one was a waste of money from that standpoint. From an
esthetic standpoint, however, a masthead lamp is more traditional even if it
is less functional.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] April 19th 08 01:34 AM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:36:36 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Well, now we know he hasn't been in a marine supply store recently
either.

Anybody who pays 300 bucks for a LED light ....

Futher proof.

Is what people mean when they talk of being hoisted by one's own
petard?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Marty[_2_] April 19th 08 04:27 AM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht
anchorages ....

a light is not required....

Cheers
Marty

Jere Lull April 19th 08 05:52 AM

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

--
Jere Lull

Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] April 19th 08 01:20 PM

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

According to the regulations I read the following is in effect:

(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in
all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessel

(b) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of
special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads,
harbours, rivers, lakes or inland waterways connected with the high
seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall
conform as closely as possible to these Rules.

In other words the authorities controlling the waters can publish any
regulation they wish and you must comply with it.

and:

Responsibility
(a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner,
master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply
with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be
required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special
circumstances of the case.

If they say "get a lite" and you don't scamper right out and get one
then you are at fault.

Designated anchorages MAY require an anchor light.

It is not really an area to be discussed as I have seen a boat
anchored in a "designated anchorage" without an anchor light that was
"T-boned" by a speed boat and was found solely at fault in admiralty
court as local regulations stated an anchor light was required..

Rosalie B. April 19th 08 03:26 PM

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis, and I thought the
anchorage at Mile Hammock Bay was one, but when I looked at the chart
it wasn't on there as a designated anchorage, even though that is all
that it is used for.

Only if it is a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary (of
Homeland Security) is an anchor light night NOT required. It may even
be defined and administered by a state or local government, that
anchorage does not automatically become one of these designated
Special Anchorage Areas

To find out where such anchorages exist, go to The Code of Federal
Regulations, Title 33 Navigation and Navigable Waters, Part 110,
Anchorage Regulations (CITE: 33CFR110.1) [available free at
www.access.gpo.gov and most public libraries]. Here in Subpart A,
Special Anchorage Areas, there are 96 listed locations with very
specific boundaries described. Some, like 110.30 Boston Harbor, Mass
and adjacent waters have multiple individual anchorage locations
specified and supplementary rules and regulations so there are a few
more individual sites than the 96 major listings. Even so, considering
all of the possible places to anchor in the U.S., there are not a lot
of these special anchorages as a percent of the total anchorages.

Capt. JG April 19th 08 04:15 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Roger Long" wrote in message
wrote

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

Nor do most designated mooring areas spracht the harbormaster.

I always put my light on wherever I am anchored just because it gives me a
nice warm fuzzy feeling and indicates that I am anchored rather than on a
mooring so my watch circle could be larger. I sometimes put it on even in
designated mooring areas if there is a lot of boat traffic and visibility
is poor.

Clearly though, someone's nautical knowledge is showing itself a bit thin.

--
Roger Long

I also put mine on even if it isn't required. A small bit of piece of
mind...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Matt O'Toole April 19th 08 08:34 PM

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:20:43 -0400, Roger Long wrote:

Pay what you want. My 2 nm LED anchor light was less than half that and a
very nice looking unit.

And you'll never have to climb the mast to replace the bulb again,
or pay someone else to do it, as most boat owners would have to. I
say it's a bargain.

Matt O.

Marty[_2_] April 19th 08 10:42 PM

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....
a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

Thanks, salty, at least there are a few around who know what the term
"designated anchorage" means. Of course given that there are so many
who don't, it is probably prudent to bathe your vessel under the light
of magnesium parachute flares every 10 minutes, lest the likes of Jere
slam into you at 3 in the morning returning from some God forsaken
watering hole.

Cheers
Marty

Jere Lull April 20th 08 02:01 AM

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

Capt. JG April 20th 08 02:50 AM

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field for
yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Wayne.B April 20th 08 03:13 AM

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:01:05 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Downtown Annapolis, right in front of the Naval Academy.

Chart # 12283_1, lat 38-58.5, lon 76-28.9

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 20th 08 04:05 AM

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field for
yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious id people actually do that or ignore it.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

Capt. JG April 20th 08 05:01 AM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious id people actually do that or ignore it.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

If we're going to be there long enough for me to be able to find the damn
thing... :-)

I've never seen an under 20m sailboat do that however... even ones who've
been on the hook for days/weeks. Some of them don't even show a light, even
though they're not in a designated anchorage. I've never heard of anyone
getting a ticket for not doing that, but I suppose it happens if the CG
wants it to happen.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Rosalie B. April 20th 08 01:17 PM

"Capt. JG" wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
om...

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious if people actually do that or ignore it.

Well we do. We have the dayshape and the anchor light on a halyard
and we hoist it when we anchor. The anchor light is photo sensitive
and goes on when it gets dark. When It's not dark, the dayshape is
there.

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

Wayne.B April 20th 08 01:59 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:17 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

Sort of like this one ? :-)

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rmsboatgm6.jpg

cavelamb himself[_4_] April 20th 08 06:41 PM

Rosalie B. wrote:
"

Well we do. We have the dayshape and the anchor light on a halyard
and we hoist it when we anchor. The anchor light is photo sensitive
and goes on when it gets dark. When It's not dark, the dayshape is
there.

As usual, Rosalie, an elegant solution to a funky problem.
Thanks.

Richard

Capt. JG April 20th 08 07:06 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

wrote in message

news:Mv2dndTmFbafLpfVnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@earthlink. com...

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B.
said:

[...]

The problem with day shapes is that the sizes are huge. The minimum sized
anchor
dayshape is about 2 feet in diameter. Boats under 20 meters are allowed
to have
proportionately smaller dayshapes, but there are no exact formulas issued
for
what that means, so anything under 2 feet is open to dispute in court.

I have a spare Davis radar reflector spray painted black that I fly under
the
spreaders when anchored. I have no idea if it would even legally count. In
busy
anchorages, I also usually tie a few short pieces of yellow caution tape
to the
anchor rode between the roller and where it enters the water. That seems
to be
enough of a hint for the oblivious stinkpotters racing around to avoid
them
cutting too close. I treat "special anchorages no differently than any
other as
far as precautions and signals, except I don't normally use horn or bell
signals
unless there is very limited visibility due to weather conditions and it
seems
needed for safety.

Doubtful about the blackened reflector... sounds like a Cajun dish... but,
they'll probably give you a B- for trying. I like the caution tape idea.
Fortunately, I only anchored one time in an anchorage that seemed like it
would be prone to someone cutting across the line... it was all chain, and I
figured they would be worse for it. Nothing happened, but the next morning
we discovered someone had anchored after dark, and had crossed our line with
theirs. They were a bit close on the swimg, but everything was stable, so we
just hailed them when they woke up, and we disentangled pretty easily.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B.
said:

[...]

Hey, you could use one of those environmentally unfriendly metalic helium
balloons painted black... just don't lose it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Richard Casady April 20th 08 07:33 PM

wrote:

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

Here in Iowa a cop boat hit an anchored boat at high speed. Killed
someone in their bunk. It was a designated anchorage, but the state
tried to blame the victim for not showing lights.

Casady

Rosalie B. April 20th 08 07:51 PM

wrote:

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

Sort of like this one ? :-)

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rmsboatgm6.jpg

Yep that's the one.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/7346..._Augustine.jpg

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/7540...hns_Island.jpg

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1343..._Augustine.jpg

And the solution for the anchor light/dayshape was Bob's and not mine.
He's the engineer, I'm just the reporter.

Rosalie B. April 20th 08 08:07 PM

wrote:

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

Here in Iowa a cop boat hit an anchored boat at high speed. Killed
someone in their bunk. It was a designated anchorage, but the state
tried to blame the victim for not showing lights.

There was a guy killed in Fernandina Beach - two guys came in and
anchored, but their electrical system was not good and the batteries
weren't charged so they didn't have an anchor light and also were on
the edge of the channel. They were tired and fell asleep. A tug came
along pushing barges and hit them and sank their boat. One of them
made it out and the other one didn't. They charged the tug with not
having a lookout (or something like that), so it was a split blame -
the tug for the lack of a lookout - the sailboat for not having an
anchor light and being partly in the channel.

Edgar April 20th 08 10:43 PM

wrote in message
The problem with day shapes is that the sizes are huge. The minimum sized

anchor
dayshape is about 2 feet in diameter. Boats under 20 meters are allowed
to have
proportionately smaller dayshapes, but there are no exact formulas issued
for
what that means, so anything under 2 feet is open to dispute in court.

You can get black plastic ones like balloons but thicker with an eye top and
bottom to allow you to hoist them and pin the bottom down. Flatten down to
nothing when deflated.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 20th 08 11:45 PM

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
news:u8qdnXqF0Zr7PJfVnZ2dnUVZ_r2nnZ2d@bayareasolut ions...

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Stupid twit! And you CLAIM to have passed the USCG license exam and studied
the COLREGS.

You are pathetic, man pathetic! What a poor example you are to us competent
and real captains!

What don't you understand about this?

Rule 30
(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen: in the fore
part, an all-round white light or one ball; at or near the stern and at a
lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round
white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round
white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in
paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters and more in
length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to
illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph
(a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, if practicable, [Inld] where they
can best be seen;
two all-round red lights in a vertical line; three balls in a vertical
line.

(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or
near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate,
shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and
(b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not
be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs
(d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a
special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to
exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule. [Inld]

~~~~~~Moored vessel are considered to be anchored by definition~~~~~

33 CFR 90
INTERPRETIVE RULES - INLAND
§ 90.1 Purpose
This part contains the interpretative rules for the Inland Rules. These
interpretative rules are intended as a guide to assist the public and
promote compliance with the Inland Rules.

§ 90.5 Lights for moored vessels
A vessel at anchor includes a vessel made fast to one or more mooring buoys
or other similar device attached to the ocean floor. Such vessels may be
lighted as a vessel at anchor in accordance with Rule 30, or may be lighted
on the corners in accordance with 33 CFR 88.13.

So, try weaseling your ignorant way out of this one! Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wayne.B April 21st 08 04:20 AM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:45:03 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Bull kwap nonsense, most of them are mooring fields.

Bob April 21st 08 05:43 AM

wrote:
Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Bull kwap nonsense, most of them are mooring fields.

I think you need to broaden you horizons and sail around a bit more.
In the PNW morring fields dont exist. We got slips in marinas and the
wild wooley west style of just finding a place out of the wind and
anchor.... in the estuary of course. Unless ya would like to anchor
off Seattle........ ! Better have l o t s of rode there ! ! !

Bob

Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] April 21st 08 01:06 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

wrote:

Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Bull kwap nonsense, most of them are mooring fields.

What in God's world is a "mooring field?" I know what a mooring is, it
is something you tie a boat to when you don't want it to go away, and
I know what a field is, it is a place to grow hay to feed the cattle
when the show is six feet deep. But I'll be damned if I can figure out
what a mooring field is. A field to tie up a boat in? Seems redundant,
if it is in a field why do you need to tie it up? It is on solid land.
Is this some of this modern english that us old farts don't
understand? Heh man! Cool! Righteous!

It is things like this (and Hillary) that make me glad I don't live
there any more.

Richard Casady April 21st 08 02:03 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:19:55 -0400, wrote:

We miss you, too. A field is a two dimensional area. The stars on the
US Flag are on a field of blue. See if you can figure it out from
there...

Unless it is three dimensional, as in a magnetic field.

Casady

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 21st 08 02:50 PM

wrote:

[...]

That's one of the more sensible posts you've written to date, sir! Good to
see you having a lucid moment.

But, the sad fact is that younger yachties here in the U.S.A. LOVE mooring
fields. They often support the concept whole-heartedly. They would rather
pay dearly for a dubious mooring where one is surrounded as closely as a
boat length by other fools who think a cluster f*ck is the cat's meow than
seek out a nice, quiet, private place to anchor. (Skippy comes to mind!)

Rather than acquiring the proper ground tackle and learning how to use it so
they have confidence in it, they prefer to pay for the 'privilege' of being
treated like so much cordwood. But this is sailing to most of them. They are
a generation in dependent sheep. who quake in fear at the very thought of
living in a "foreign country" that has few rules and regulations. They would
be paralyzed because there isn't a bunch of rules and regulations they must
follow and feel good about following since it takes the responsibility of
decision from them.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] April 21st 08 04:47 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:02:16 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

A mooring field is an area where the moorings are so closely spaced, often
in a regular pattern, that anchoring between them would be impractical.
Often, they are so close that just navigating through the area is difficult
and channels are often left for the purpose. Usually, a mooring field is
overseen and mooring locations managed by someone like me. There are
"unofficial" mooring fields where coves or harbors have simply filled up
with moorings.

Working definition: If you can find a place to set a hook in amongst the
moorings, it is not a mooring field. If you say, "Dang, we'll have to jill
around while we send someone ashore in the dinghy for ice and beer and then
go anchor around the point", it's a mooring field.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't have them things when I was sailing
down that a way. Used to be you could just find a nook and drop the
hook and take the dinghy to shore to find out where you were.

Sounds like it has all gone down hill since I left.

Heck, you could sail nearly anywhere in the state without even
catching a lobster pot.

Capt. JG April 21st 08 05:23 PM

"Roger Long" wrote in message
A mooring field is an area where the moorings are so closely spaced, often
in a regular pattern, that anchoring between them would be impractical.
Often, they are so close that just navigating through the area is difficult
and channels are often left for the purpose. Usually, a mooring field is
overseen and mooring locations managed by someone like me. There are
"unofficial" mooring fields where coves or harbors have simply filled up
with moorings.

Working definition: If you can find a place to set a hook in amongst the
moorings, it is not a mooring field. If you say, "Dang, we'll have to
jill around while we send someone ashore in the dinghy for ice and beer
and then go anchor around the point", it's a mooring field.

--
Roger Long

I good example is what they have off Catalina... lots and lots of boats tied
up in a relatively small space. We have similiar at Angel Island. The
wind/currents are such there that everyone ties bow to one and stern to
another, so no one swings into another boat. This works great for large
raft-ups that happen at various times... 10+ boats in a raft up.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Richard Casady April 21st 08 06:03 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On 21 Apr 2008 09:44:12 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:33:16 GMT, (Richard
Casady) said:

Here in Iowa

Where in Iowa are you?

Near Des Moines, in the country. Do the boating on Spirit Lake, 200
miles North and West of here.. Have a 22 foot aluminum Cuddy. Lots of
locking storage. 175 HP 4 cylinder MerCruiser. I just might cruise the
Great Lakes with it.

Casady

Capt. JG April 21st 08 09:23 PM

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:03:59 GMT, (Richard
Casady) said:

Do the boating on Spirit Lake, 200
miles North and West of here.

I know it well. Used to teach swimming at Okiboji, and first sailed there
on
a little sunfish clone.

I used to own a sunfish down in San Diego about 100 years ago... co-owned it
actually, since neither of could afford it on our own. What a great little
boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Edgar April 21st 08 10:39 PM

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
news:Yqadnde8ptHjIpHVnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@bayareasolut ions...
I good example is what they have off Catalina... lots and lots of boats

tied
up in a relatively small space. We have similiar at Angel Island. The
wind/currents are such there that everyone ties bow to one and stern to
another, so no one swings into another boat. This works great for large
raft-ups that happen at various times... 10+ boats in a raft up.

Call me anti-social, but I would go somewhere else if I found I was likely
to be rafted up with 10 other boats.
Feet pounding across your deck at all hours of the night, loud drunken
voices ditto, some idiot playing loud music of his choice to entertain
everyone else, etc, etc.etc.
No, thanks. That is not my idea of cruising.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] April 21st 08 10:54 PM

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
news:Yqadnde8ptHjIpHVnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@bayareasolut ions...
I good example is what they have off Catalina... lots and lots of boats

tied
up in a relatively small space. We have similiar at Angel Island. The
wind/currents are such there that everyone ties bow to one and stern to
another, so no one swings into another boat. This works great for large
raft-ups that happen at various times... 10+ boats in a raft up.

Call me anti-social, but I would go somewhere else if I found I was likely
to be rafted up with 10 other boats.
Feet pounding across your deck at all hours of the night, loud drunken
voices ditto, some idiot playing loud music of his choice to entertain
everyone else, etc, etc.etc.
No, thanks. That is not my idea of cruising.

I happen to agree with you completely and adamantly on this one.

Rafting up is just the stupidest, lamest, most ignorant and often dangerous
thing yachties do. What if a storm comes up quickly in the middle of the
night? There will be mayhem, mass confusion and a giant cluster f*ck along
with widespread major and minor damage to all yachts concerned. Perhaps even
multiple injuries to crews trying to get out of the raft-up in severe wind
and sea conditions.

Anybody willingly subjecting themselves and their vessels to that kind of
thing needs to examine why he's sailing. Stay home if you need a crowd to
feel comfortable! Stay at a hotel or join a commune.

Wilbur Hubbard