Default I decided

JimC wrote:

Out of curiosity, I asked the MacGregor discussion group whether anyone
had heard of a Mac 26 breaking up and/or sinking in heavy seas. (Many of
the Mac owners have taken their boats offshore.) No one had heard of any
such incidence. As you say, there are thousands out there, all over the
world and in all types of conditions.

Well Jim, to use your tack, please provide reliable evidence of a Mac26
surviving an open ocean passage that involves a significant storm,
duration greater that 48hrs, oh hell I'd settle for 24.

Can't do it can you?

I wonder why not? Well not really

Cheers
Marty

Marty wrote:

JimC wrote:

Out of curiosity, I asked the MacGregor discussion group whether
anyone had heard of a Mac 26 breaking up and/or sinking in heavy seas.
(Many of the Mac owners have taken their boats offshore.) No one had
heard of any such incidence. As you say, there are thousands out
there, all over the world and in all types of conditions.

Well Jim, to use your tack, please provide reliable evidence of a Mac26
surviving an open ocean passage that involves a significant storm,
duration greater that 48hrs, oh hell I'd settle for 24.

Hi Marty. Before I respond to your note, would you please show me any
note I posted stating that the Mac is suitable for use on an open ocean
passage of any kind? Seems to me that what I stated was that I wouldn't
want to take mine 200 miles offshore. Nevertheless, the Mac's do have
positive floatation, and they don't have a heavy keel that would drag
the boat quickly to the bottom if the hull were compromised. Marty, so
far, no one has provided ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL of one breaking apart and
sinking under ANY conditions, offshore, inshore, heavy weather, squalls,
drunk skipper, collisions. No one. Nada. Despite the thousands of Macs
out there.

As stated above, the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most popular series of
sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both in the US and in
various foreign countries. And many Mac 26 owners (in the US and in
foreign waters) have taken their boats offshore, though few are used in
open crossings. In view of the thousands of Mac26s out there, if the
Macs did have a tendency to break up and sink, under stress of any kind,
it would be impossible to keep that tendency a secret. - Yet so far, no
one (on this ng or on the Mac owners ng) has heard of ANY Mac26 breaking
up and sinking, in heavy weather conditions, collisions, or other forms
of stress.

Secondly, remember that I wasn't the one who posted statements to the
effect that the Macs would break up and sink in severe conditions. Those
statements were posted by Ganz, with vacuous support from several
others. Since Ganz and his friends posted those assertions, Ganz and his
friends are the ones who should be providing evidence and proof
supporting their theories. - They haven't, of course, and they clearly
are unable to do so.

Have a nice evening.

Jim

"JimC" wrote in message
As stated above, the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most popular series of
sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both in the US and in
various foreign countries.

The Big Mac is the most popular burger ever. Doesn't mean I'd try and order
one in an expensive restaurant.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

As stated above, the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most popular series of
sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both in the US and in
various foreign countries.

The Big Mac is the most popular burger ever. Doesn't mean I'd try and order
one in an expensive restaurant.

On the other hand, if people were routinely dying the day after eating a
Big Mac, we WOULD have heard about it, woudln't we? Same principle with
a boat that is being sailed by thousands of owners around the world.

Jim

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

As stated above, the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most popular series of
sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both in the US and in
various foreign countries.

The Big Mac is the most popular burger ever. Doesn't mean I'd try and
order one in an expensive restaurant.

On the other hand, if people were routinely dying the day after eating a
Big Mac, we WOULD have heard about it, woudln't we? Same principle with a
boat that is being sailed by thousands of owners around the world.

Jim

Yeah, they just get really, really sick, and it takes about 20 years to die
from eating them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .

As stated above, the Mac 26 is one of, if not the most popular series of
sailboats ever made, with thousands still in use both in the US and in
various foreign countries.

The Big Mac is the most popular burger ever. Doesn't mean I'd try and
order one in an expensive restaurant.

On the other hand, if people were routinely dying the day after eating a
Big Mac, we WOULD have heard about it, woudln't we? Same principle with a
boat that is being sailed by thousands of owners around the world.

Jim

Yeah, they just get really, really sick, and it takes about 20 years to die
from eating them.

Once again, Ganz, you are simply evading the point that was made. Which
is that, with so many Mac 26's out there, if there were a problem with
them breaking up and sinking in severe conditions (of any kind) we would
have heard of it. The boats are sailed by thousands of skippers around
the world, of different skill levels and different interests, and if
they had a tendency or susceptibility to break up and sink in severe
conditions (severe conditions of any kind, off-shore, near shore, in the
bays, in large lakes, etc., etc.) it would be impossible to keep it a
secret. And the Mac-bashers on this ng would certainly take pleasure in
learning about such a deficiency.)

But they haven't, and they can't.

Jim

JimC wrote:

Marty wrote:

JimC wrote:

Out of curiosity, I asked the MacGregor discussion group whether
anyone had heard of a Mac 26 breaking up and/or sinking in heavy
seas. (Many of the Mac owners have taken their boats offshore.) No
one had heard of any such incidence. As you say, there are thousands
out there, all over the world and in all types of conditions.

Well Jim, to use your tack, please provide reliable evidence of a
Mac26 surviving an open ocean passage that involves a significant
storm, duration greater that 48hrs, oh hell I'd settle for 24.

Hi Marty. Before I respond to your note, would you please show me any
note I posted stating that the Mac is suitable for use on an open ocean
passage of any kind?

You're being facetious right?

Cheers
Marty

"Marty" wrote in message
JimC wrote:

Marty wrote:

JimC wrote:

Out of curiosity, I asked the MacGregor discussion group whether anyone
had heard of a Mac 26 breaking up and/or sinking in heavy seas. (Many
of the Mac owners have taken their boats offshore.) No one had heard of
any such incidence. As you say, there are thousands out there, all over
the world and in all types of conditions.

Well Jim, to use your tack, please provide reliable evidence of a Mac26
surviving an open ocean passage that involves a significant storm,
duration greater that 48hrs, oh hell I'd settle for 24.

Hi Marty. Before I respond to your note, would you please show me any
note I posted stating that the Mac is suitable for use on an open ocean
passage of any kind?

You're being facetious right?

Cheers
Marty

Jim... this is another one of the rhetorical questions.. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JimC wrote:
Hi Marty. Before I respond to your note, would you please show me any
note I posted stating that the Mac is suitable for use on an open ocean
passage of any kind? Seems to me that what I stated was that I wouldn't
want to take mine 200 miles offshore. Nevertheless, the Mac's do have
positive floatation, and they don't have a heavy keel that would drag
the boat quickly to the bottom if the hull were compromised. Marty, so
far, no one has provided ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL of one breaking apart and
sinking under ANY conditions, offshore, inshore, heavy weather, squalls,
drunk skipper, collisions. No one. Nada. Despite the thousands of Macs
out there.

Perhaps true, but we do have evidence of drowning on a Mac that rolled
over. Does the fact the the boat didn't sink make you feel better?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:06:33 -0400, jeff wrote:

Perhaps true, but we do have evidence of drowning on a Mac that rolled
over. Does the fact the the boat didn't sink make you feel better?

Was it dismasted in the rollover? Why did the rollover occur ?

I have decided to become.......... Thurston Howell III[_2_] General 1 December 19th 07 01:49 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg Cruising 17 August 11th 03 02:07 PM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Jim General 0 July 24th 03 04:52 AM
Decided on Dry Tortugas Ferg General 1 July 15th 03 12:32 AM