posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default 'Captain' (was) Lessons to be learned from the wreck of the 'RED CLOUD'

"Molesworth" wrote in message
In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

In the some sixty years that I've been messing around in boats I have
never heard a professional seaman refer to himself as "the good
captain" so I assume that you are some sort of ignoramus that knows
nothing and rates right along side such other sterling examples of
stupidity as the Good Captain Neil and Wilbur (the guy that can't
spell his name correctly) for competency.

I sailed into harbor in W Fla for the night and was addressed as
'Captain' by the dockie. I was single-handing but I still squirm with
embarrassment as I don't consider myself to be experienced enough to
earn that title.

And I don't know when/if I'll be comfortable with it either.

However, someone has to be in charge (me).. Hmm, a quandary!

--
Molesworth

Very accurate assessment of them both. In a couple of VHF communications
with the CG, one time they called me captain, but all the rest called me
skipper. I felt a little odd answering to the former. The LT in charge of
the Mexican Navy used the term capeetan, which I assumed was the same thing.
LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Molesworth" wrote in message
I sailed into harbor in W Fla for the night and was addressed as
'Captain' by the dockie. I was single-handing but I still squirm with
embarrassment as I don't consider myself to be experienced enough to
earn that title.

And I don't know when/if I'll be comfortable with it either.

However, someone has to be in charge (me).. Hmm, a quandary!

No quandary really.
You were undoubtedly the 'Skipper' of your vessel.
The word 'Captain' is greatly misused especially on this ng and you
certainly cannot be a captain if you do not have a crew..

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:40:41 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

Very accurate assessment of them both. In a couple of VHF communications
with the CG, one time they called me captain, but all the rest called me
skipper. I felt a little odd answering to the former. The LT in charge of
the Mexican Navy used the term capeetan, which I assumed was the same thing.
LOL

Oooh! wow! They called you, "captain," over the radio. I'm so
unimpressed. They called me, "Captain Horvath," in the army, and many
brave men saluted me. I was a real captain.

I was known throughout the land as, "Captain Horvath, Defender of
Freedom."

And I have the paperwork to prove it.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
Goodness, and here I thought that all RBC folks were law abiding good
guys. I mention "short lobsters" and it seems like everybody knows
what I'm talking about. Next thing I'm going to mention "jack
lighting" to see if there are any deer hunters in the crowd.

No, absolutely not. Never.
Although I did have a car with one headlight bent upward a little,
years ago... somehow passed the state inspection anyway

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:28:41 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

In the some sixty years that I've been messing around in boats I have
never heard a professional seaman refer to himself as "the good
captain" so I assume that you are some sort of ignoramus that knows
nothing and rates right along side such other sterling examples of
stupidity as the Good Captain Neil and Wilbur (the guy that can't
spell his name correctly) for competency.

I sailed into harbor in W Fla for the night and was addressed as
'Captain' by the dockie. I was single-handing but I still squirm with
embarrassment as I don't consider myself to be experienced enough to
earn that title.

And I don't know when/if I'll be comfortable with it either.

However, someone has to be in charge (me).. Hmm, a quandary!

It is common courtesy to address the master of a vessel as "Captain"
but one does not introduce one's self as Captain unless one is a
serving military officer in which case it is proper to announce one's
rank, primarily so that others know how to address you.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Bloody Horvath wrote:
.... They called me, "Captain Horvath," in the army, and many
brave men saluted me. I was a real captain.

You may have been a real Captain, but still outranked by a Navy
Lieutenant.

If I were to claim a title, I'd be just as happy to be the senior
petty officer on board. That leaves no doubt as to who is really in
charge in any emergency, yet I can still loaf most of the time.

former BT1(SW) Doug King

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:28:41 -0500, Molesworth
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

[...]

But 'Corporal' doesn't have the same ring, now does it?

LOL

However, I can live with 'Skipper'.

--
Molesworth (ex-Corporal, Royal Engineers)

wrote in message
Bloody Horvath wrote:
.... They called me, "Captain Horvath," in the army, and many
brave men saluted me. I was a real captain.

You may have been a real Captain, but still outranked by a Navy
Lieutenant.

If I were to claim a title, I'd be just as happy to be the senior
petty officer on board. That leaves no doubt as to who is really in
charge in any emergency, yet I can still loaf most of the time.

former BT1(SW) Doug King

Horvath is a hero... in his own mind. Don't destroy that for him.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com