Don White

Default Marinas--Are we getting soft??

Gould 0738 wrote in message
One major difference between docking a boat and parking a car. On a boat,

it's
perfectly acceptable to bounce off a few fenders.

You may be on to something........a flatter type of fender to hang from your
new auto in mall parking lots.
How do you get a patent?

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Only done by people who can't back their boat into a slip.

Oh! That is mean spirited.

Kinda like saying "Bow Thrusters are to compensate for poor boat handling
skills."

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

They aren't? ;-)

Personally, we prefer bow in for privacy, but we backed in for a couple
of years when our slip position made that the easier option. Lots of
practice almost made it easy, but our boat handles a little easier than
most.

--
Jere Lull

Mika

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:46:45 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

When I park a car, I usually go into the space head first. My husband
backs in. I'd rather back out into a big space than back into a small
space. He feels that he'd rather see out where he's going, and I feel

Isnīt that what we were told to do in the army as well. Never back
(except to a loading bay) , as you would not be able to get moving
fast

Mike

Mika

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:21:27 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Okay, I'll be the dummy. I'm 44 and I don't recall hearing it. ??? If I

had
to guess I would say dip the eye in the drink to soften it. ????

It is a courtesy to put your lines under the other boaters lines and if he
has an eye onto a piling or ballard, you slip your line through his eye and
then over the piling/ballard. This means that he can remove his line and
leave without removing your line or similarly if you leave first.

Part of elementary training here. Wouldnīt pass a single practical
exam if you were not familiar with this. You would also lose your
priviledge to use yacht club bases out of town...

Mika

Gould 0738

Isnīt that what we were told to do in the army as well. Never back
(except to a loading bay) , as you would not be able to get moving
fast

Mike

Don't you mean never head in?

If you head in, you have to back out.
Certainly a slower process, usually involving a stop and a turn, that just
putting it in gear and moving out continuously.