Joe Wood

Default Trying to learn what type engine I've got in houseboat

GM small block V8s have the following valve configuration where I=intake
and E=exhaust:

EIIEEIIE

this gives the exhaust manifold a fairly unique pattern since GM big
blocks and Ford engines alternate exhaust and intake.

Joe Wood

Steve Lusardi wrote:

That serial number is only valid with Crusader. You can check with them
only. Casting numbers can be researched with the OEM, but that will not
identify the configuration. The engine could be a left or right hand engine.
If overhaul is required be careful that the replacement pistons match the
cly. heads in use. There are hundreds of different combinations. The rear
distributer shouts chev., but it could be could be either a big block (396,
427, 454) or a small block (302, 327, 350). My guess is a 350 at 250 HP. Any
decent mechanic should be able to identify the engine by sight. The
configuration can only be determined by tests.
Steve
wrote in message

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:40:15 -0500, "mw" wrote:

It sounds like a Chevy block. There should be casting numbers on the

heads.

You can cross ref. those numbers and find out what engine it is. The

block

also should have casting numbers.

Where to cross ref them? Can't I do it with the serial number?

wrote in message

Hi,

I have recently bought a 1968 Lazy Days, 43' aluminum hull
houseboat. I haven't been able to learn what year or size
the engine is. What I do know is that it's a Crusader, Charger
series, 250 h.p. V8, distributor in the rear, serial # 13050. A
single engine and it's an inboard, which a friend told me is
very rare on this type boat. From that info, is there a way to
find out what type and size engine it is?

Thanks for any help!
David

Gordon

Crusaders in those days were chevy v8. They made a 220hp out of the 305
block and a 270hp out of a 350 block. Both had the distributer in the rear.
Crusaders were made by Thermo Electron Corp.
Gordon