posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

Default Wireless and Waterproof Remote PC screen

Every once in awhile something interesting shows up in my inbox buried
under all of the other advertisements. Yesterday I received this one:

http://tinyurl.com/yrl8bb

It purports to be a wireless, waterproof, touch sensitive screen for
remote control and display of a PC. It looks like it might be
particularly useful for the cockpit of sailboats or on small power
boats. Apparently it is battery operated.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

I have no connection with the product or vendor.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
Every once in awhile something interesting shows up in my inbox buried
under all of the other advertisements. Yesterday I received this one:

http://tinyurl.com/yrl8bb

It purports to be a wireless, waterproof, touch sensitive screen for
remote control and display of a PC. It looks like it might be
particularly useful for the cockpit of sailboats or on small power
boats. Apparently it is battery operated.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

I have no connection with the product or vendor.

Pricy for what it is. I wonder about it's viewability in sunlight. If you
need to build a sunshade for it, you might just go ahead and build a water
resistant enclosure and throw a laptop into it.Very short battery life which
is understandable. There may be a practical application, but I can't think
of any.
I spoke too soon. I just thought of something. How about reading rec.boats
while taking a shower. Kidding of course.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

" wrote in message

snip...
I spoke too soon. I just thought of something. How about reading rec.boats
while taking a shower. Kidding of course.

That sounds perverted..... especially on the Easter weekend.

" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

I agree it's pricey, but the practical apps would include chart-reading and
general nav issues?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

[...]

FWIW, I think it's too small for that...

I guess it's a compromise between readability and size/weight. Seems like
the price should be 1/4 of what it's going for, which would help. Also,
you'd have to have a good place to put it... a holder of some sort.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:03:04 -0400, "
wrote:

There may be a practical application, but I can't think
of any.

They show it as a nav aid. It might make some sense if you had an old
boat and you wanted PC driven electronics on the flying bridge without
trying to hide wires.
The price is the killer
If it was cheaper they might find more users and more uses.
It is LAN attached so it could be used for almost anything, most of
which are not boat related.

That's the first thing that occurred to me. Might be useful, but because
it's "marine", it's four times the price.

Eisboch

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:28:42 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

That's the first thing that occurred to me. Might be useful, but because
it's "marine", it's four times the price.

That's part of it no doubt, but it really is difficult to make a piece
of electronics like that both waterproof and somewhat shock proof. I
don't view the price as a big obstacle if it actually works. Compare
it to the price of a Furuno 10 inch display.

Capt. JG wrote:

I agree it's pricey, but the practical apps would include chart-reading
and general nav issues?

FWIW, I think it's too small for that...

I guess it's a compromise between readability and size/weight. Seems like
the price should be 1/4 of what it's going for, which would help. Also,
you'd have to have a good place to put it... a holder of some sort.

For a little bit more you can buy a laptop built for marine enviroment
and/or one built to military specs for weather/water proof.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

"Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:

I agree it's pricey, but the practical apps would include chart-reading
and general nav issues?

FWIW, I think it's too small for that...

I guess it's a compromise between readability and size/weight. Seems like
the price should be 1/4 of what it's going for, which would help. Also,
you'd have to have a good place to put it... a holder of some sort.

For a little bit more you can buy a laptop built for marine enviroment
and/or one built to military specs for weather/water proof.

Thus my comment about the cost. Having a screen rather than a full pc seems
like a good idea sans the cost and possibly the size of the screen in
question.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com