TB

Default holding tank hand pump

I have a new Henderson Mk V pump, will it be suitable for plumbing into
the system to empty the holding tank offshore, or will i need a specific
type. Any recommendations?
Tony

Lew Hodgett

"TB" writes:
I have a new Henderson Mk V pump, will it be suitable for plumbing into
the system to empty the holding tank offshore, or will i need a specific
type. Any recommendations?

Henderson Mk V

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Terry Spragg

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"TB" writes:

I have a new Henderson Mk V pump, will it be suitable for plumbing into
the system to empty the holding tank offshore, or will i need a specific
type. Any recommendations?

Henderson Mk V

I can use a bicycle pump or similar to evacuate my holding tank
offshore. I close both air vents, open the sea valve, and pump up
the holding tank with air. I watch the joker valve for back leakage
/ wear indications, and now, use a 12 volt tire pump. When the
pressure reaches about a pound, out goes the poo.

If I did not open the sea cock, I could blow the contents out the
deck pumpout fitting. I have an elbo I am tempted to screw into the
deck fitting if ever any PWC gets too pesky, port side. Two elbows
and a ball valve could provide a fully aimable poo cannon. Long
range shots might be dangerous for the cabin crew / head attendant /
leakage monitor. That capability suggests a thru hull for sewage may
not be required. I have pressure tested the system when new with
water. I can nervously saw I would trust it to about 10 yards with
short wait times at the ready. Pirates? Bring 'em on!

This system also obviates no need for a working shoreside pump, and
requires only a holding tank on the gas dock, which could remove
many objections by marina operators about pumpout maintenance costs.
It could also make boats cheaper. Of course, a flexible vacuum hose
to a parking spot for a city services sewer sucker truck up on the
bank would still be needed. Oh, and a level indicating clear
overflow tube / vent outside the dock holding tank, wired to a
pumpout service call buzzer / alarm. I would not normally employ my
system to blow sewage up more than about 3 feet, realistically.

Such a system would contribute greatly toward lowering shoreside
pumpout equipment costs, as a suction rated pumpout hose on the dock
is no longer needed. Mind, a leaky sewer hose on deck is quite
noticable and might be repaired more quickly than a plain
cantankerous vacuum leaking one.

Sell the pump.

Terry K

JimB

Terry Spragg wrote in message
le.rogers.com..
..
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I can use a bicycle pump or similar to evacuate my holding tank
offshore. I close both air vents, open the sea valve, and pump

up
the holding tank with air. I watch the joker valve for back

leakage
/ wear indications, and now, use a 12 volt tire pump. When the
pressure reaches about a pound, out goes the poo.

Hmmm. Be careful about pressurising HDPE tanks though. Mine
overfilled once, and scum blocked the vent (which had a gauze
cover). Just as the next user was calling out "the head pump is a
bit stiff!" there was a big bang. The tank burst along one seam.
You can imagine the rest.

I no longer have a gauze cover over the vent . . .

JimB
Yacht Rapaz, sadly for sale (no that's not why! It's cos I've
bought a nice Greek house)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.bae...cification.htm
jim(dot)baerselman(at)ntlworld(dot)com

Peggie Hall

I can use a bicycle pump or similar to evacuate my holding tank
offshore. I close both air vents, open the sea valve, and pump up the
holding tank with air. I watch the joker valve for back leakage / wear
indications, and now, use a 12 volt tire pump. When the pressure
reaches about a pound, out goes the poo.

If I did not open the sea cock, I could blow the contents out the deck
pumpout fitting...

This makes my list of the top 10 worst ideas I've ever heard!
Pressurizing a tank can result in a cracked tank, even a metal tank (I
know of at least one case in which the owner of a new stainless tank
didn't have enough sense to stop pumping the toilet against what he even
admitted was a LOT of backpressure till a seam exploded), blown out
fittings, or an eruption through the toilet...I've seen it turn even
brand new joker valves inside out. The pressure reading on your pump may
only indicate about 1 lb, but it takes a lot more than that inside the
tank to move anything. Sending the waste overboard is risky
enough..Don't even THINK of trying to send it out the deck fitting!

--
Peggie
----------

TB

Terry Spragg wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"TB" writes:

[...]

You Know how these things escalate, the pirates will go for bigger and bigger

holding tanks and i will soon be outgunned. I'll use the MkV.

Tony

DSK

Terry Spragg wrote:

I can use a bicycle pump or similar to evacuate my holding tank
offshore. I close both air vents, open the sea valve, and pump up
the holding tank with air.

This is a really bad idea. The question is not *if* the tank will blow up, but
when.

The highest standard for marine tanks (including fuel BTW) and associated
fittings is .5 psi overpressure. Most are not built to withstand even that
much.

If you really have been doing this Terry, you've been very lucky (and so have
your neighbors).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King