Dimitri Rotow

Default Anyone know a good online sailmaker?

Can anyone recommend a good online sailmaker? I need a new jib and have
gone into sticker shock from some quotes I've seen (haven't bought sails for
a looong time...).

I wondered if I could get a good quality product at a good price by mail
order or online ordering. I'm in the US but I hear there are some great
deals from international sailmakers who ship to the US. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Dimitri

Steve

I got a good deal on a new full batten mainsail from a sail broker.

Bacon Sails http://www.baconsails.com/

They specialize in used sails but also have some new sails on consignment
from some sail lofts.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Dimitri Rotow

I got a good deal on a new full batten mainsail from a sail broker.

Bacon Sails http://www.baconsails.com/

They specialize in used sails but also have some new sails on consignment
from some sail lofts.

Thanks Steve! I'll give them a call.

After searching the web I ran across three sailmakers in Hong Kong:

Lee Sails (http://www3.leesails.com/) ... I've heard of them as an OEM
supplier.

Hong Kong Sailmakers (http://www.hksailmakers.com/) ... a really
comprehensive site.

Sails East (http://www.sailseast.com/)

Anybody have experience dealing with the above?

Dimitri

Steve

Just another FWIW.

Some of the 'supposed' US sailmakers actually have the highly labor
intensive work done 'off shore'. In fact it is highly possible that the
entire sail will be made in Mexico and the Gringo sailmaker will just show
up for the measurements and finally fitting of the sail..

I took a sail into Doyle sails in San Diego to have a luff tape installed..
When I stopped back a couple days later to check on the progress, I found
out that it was in TJ. The sailmaker admitted that they did very little sail
work in SD. The loft was only used for inspecting sails and minor
work/adjustments.

I visited the Hood sail loft in Seattle and found that they didn't do any of
the sail making here. Just some repair and adjustments. They wouldn't say
where the actual work was done.

I don't suppose it really makes much difference as long as the sail is cut
and sewn correctly and good quality material is used..

BTW. I have had Lee Sails on several of my boats and never had any
complaint. If I we a racer or demanded high performance, then I might say
otherwise.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bruce

Mack Sails in Stuart Florida is an excellent sailmaker. They do quality work
in Florida and stand behind their product. I found their prices competative
with the offshore stuff and I got better quality and service. For what it
is worth. For those who have the Kmart mentality, I recommend getting some
Martha Stuart sheets ...hot glew them together....and bitch about the poor
service
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Dimitri Rotow

Mack Sails in Stuart Florida is an excellent sailmaker. They do quality

work
in Florida and stand behind their product. I found their prices

competative
with the offshore stuff and I got better quality and service. For what it
is worth. For those who have the Kmart mentality, I recommend getting

some
Martha Stuart sheets ...hot glew them together....and bitch about the poor
service

Hmmm... well, I'll check into Mack Sails and see how they do. Thanks for
the lead!

As far as the "Kmart mentality" there is nothing wrong with a desire to get
value for your money, especially if you are trying to keep your family on
the water despite the costs of doing so even in a very modest way. In any
business where there's a paradigm shift happening (either as a result of
shifting technology or new business methods or new production sources) it's
quite often the case that you don't get the best value for your money just
by paying more.

I've been around boats for over 45 years and I can guarantee you that when
it comes to labor-intensive work there is no hard and fast correlation
between the price you pay for something and the service you get. There's no
end of guys who will charge you 20 hours of time to do a hack job that a
more competant craftsman could have done better in 8 to 10 hours. Anyone
who has dealt with the marine trades knows exactly what I mean. The
correlation seems to be not with price but with integrity and competance and
that has to do more with the man inside than the prices on the outside. It
always pays to ask around who's got the integrity and the skills.

By the way, I'm not on some rant against using the local talent. We've got
some really good local sailmakers and they provide a great service with lots
of personal attention and build a product that is absolutely second to none.
But, you know how it goes, not everybody can afford to fly first class and
those of us counting our pennies still want to get the best deal for the
money! I guess it's more the Costco mentality than Kmart. :-)

Regards to all,

Dimitri

Anyone know of a good online basic boating test / free? Gary Warner General 5 May 10th 04 01:35 AM
Good News, Good News, Good News Ernie General 40 April 19th 04 12:48 PM
O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 11:30 AM
Good weekend, except for one little cover problem. Calif Bill General 0 July 30th 03 05:18 AM