Default GPS Handheld

I would like some advice on what type of GPS Handheld to buy for
navigational use for my sailboat. I plan to do some cruising to long
island sound, block island, up the hudson etc. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks - Al

"Cate" wrote in message
I would like some advice on what type of GPS Handheld to buy for
navigational use for my sailboat. I plan to do some cruising to long
island sound, block island, up the hudson etc. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks - Al

Sounds like you have a decent sized sailboat.
What about a chart plotter?

If your boat was under 20 feet I'd get something like the Garmin GPSMap
60Cx.
You just missed a $50.00 rebate on that model.

"Cate" wrote in message
I would like some advice on what type of GPS Handheld to buy for
navigational use for my sailboat. I plan to do some cruising to long
island sound, block island, up the hudson etc. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks - Al

here's a review on the 60Cx....
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmin-60cx-review.php

On Sat, 8 Mar 08, Cate wrote:
I would like some advice on what type of GPS Handheld to buy for
navigational use for my sailboat. I plan to do some cruising to long
island sound, block island, up the hudson etc. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Sounds like you're shopping for the same thing I am.
I'm betwixt and between a Garmin Map76 and a Lowrance iFinder H2O.
Either one can be had for around $150.
At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Lowrance.

Rick

On Mar 8, 6:16 pm, Cate wrote:
I would like some advice on what type of GPS Handheld to buy for
navigational use for my sailboat. I plan to do some cruising to long
island sound, block island, up the hudson etc. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks - Al

Al,
The Garmin Map76CSX is a good color handheld, and you can add detail
charts for the area that you want to cruise in. Go to the Garmin
website for more info.
If you don't need all the bells and whistles, and are comfortable with
paper charts, use a less expensive non mapping version. You'll be able
to determine your position, and transpose that to the paper charts.
Most importantly, you'll always know where you are, where you've been,
and how to get back. Garmin has good customer support, and getting
repairs and replacements are quick and easy.
Larry (no I don't work for Garmin)Wilson
I do work part time for West Marine however. (full disclosure and all
that)

Larry wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:16 pm, Cate wrote:
[...]

I use a Map60CSx with Bluecharts, easily the best combination around.

Best Handheld VHF? Bryan General 55 December 15th 05 05:41 AM
Handheld GPS, which one? Denis Marier Cruising 16 June 26th 05 03:06 AM
FS: VHF Handheld in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 April 10th 04 04:41 AM
Handheld GPS Recommendations erich General 8 December 1st 03 07:22 AM
New Handheld....again! Bobsprit ASA 11 November 13th 03 11:11 PM