Parallax

Default getting the work done

Went to my boat today to give the guy working on th emast step a piece
of metal for reinforcing. Was going to install an anchor light, VHF
antenna, and windex on the mast head before it goes back up. Realized
this was going to take some time and reluctantly decided it
financially made more sense to pay him to do it so I could work more.
While thinking this, I also decided he should install a new knotlog,
depthsounder, and maybe an anemometer. Gawd, am I becoming THAT kind
of sailor, not even working on my own boat?
rhys

On 18 Feb 2004 19:21:46 -0800, (Parallax)
wrote:

Went to my boat today to give the guy working on th emast step a piece
of metal for reinforcing. Was going to install an anchor light, VHF
antenna, and windex on the mast head before it goes back up. Realized
this was going to take some time and reluctantly decided it
financially made more sense to pay him to do it so I could work more.
While thinking this, I also decided he should install a new knotlog,
depthsounder, and maybe an anemometer. Gawd, am I becoming THAT kind
of sailor, not even working on my own boat?

Yes, you are. But if you suspect laziness in yourself, you can
reassure yourself thusly:

1) He has the right tools.
2) You are already paying him.
3) He might do a better job than you, faster. (Or not, but at least
his work is open to criticism!)
4) The extra hour's pay you give to him helps the economy.
5) Your time sailing (and well-informed) is worth more to you than the
cost of having him do it.
6) Fishing little five-conductor wires through 50 feet of mast is bad
for the blood pressure. Relax, have a beer.
7) You get to do another pressing job onboard instead, thus reducing
your "to do" list by one, which brings you that much closer to a happy
launch day (hey, I'm in Canada...we don't drop boats until early May).

Hope this puts things in perspective. If I could afford it, I would
have someone reinstall my rebuilt engine, because I've done it once
already, will not gain appreciably from the experience again, and am
better employed reinforcing deck gear, putting in midship cleats, and
debating replacing the deadlights in the cabin. Stuff I have a crack
at doing right the first time.

But I don't, so I'll be painting the block in April and hauling it
down to the mast crane in May. Sigh.

R.

Parallax

wrote:

[...]

Of course you are right, however, this is th efirst time I have been
able to afford to have somebody else work on my boat and I feel like I
have sold out and become a yachtie, whats next, deck shoes and stupid
nautical clothes.

However, last year I did put in a new engine and replaced all the
standing rigging etc. so cannot kick myself too much.

I suspect that by the time you launch, I will be stopping sailing till
October, its just too hot here after June to sail.

Allan Paterson

Ahoy The

Just concentrate on the rewards of getting the maintenance done
ie GOING cruising!!!

And remember the saying:Cruising is going from port-to-port to buy
new parts. And cruising to other countries is going from port to port
to buy new parts--in a foreign language. LOL

As an English-only yachtie in Puerto Rico, spent two days and a car
rental only to be told by the clerk in the best refrigeration store that
they didn't have the heat exchanger we needed. ONLY thing that saved
us was the bilingual customer in the next line. Immediately got the
required part and finally had cold beer again.

Allan
"He who would go to sea for pleasure, would go to hell for a pastime."
Lord Chesterfield

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:31:28 +0000, rhys wrote:

7) You get to do another pressing job onboard instead, thus reducing
your "to do" list by one, which brings you that much closer to a happy
launch day (hey, I'm in Canada...we don't drop boats until early May).

Hey, speak for yourself! I was out in Far Cove on Sunday - a Beautiful
day on the water! Lots of boats out. Typical West Coast Sunday: Ski in the
morning, sail in the afternoon, and in the evening call our friends in the
East and gloat!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - new engine - Yay!

temerature gauge won't work. Derek General 2 July 1st 04 09:00 PM
OMC Cobra work around Mike General 1 August 24th 03 02:19 PM
Do Hydrofoils Work??? dad2468 General 9 August 5th 03 02:03 AM