Gould 0738

Default Marinas and minimum boat lengths?

I am about to embark on a new boat adventure. I heard that many clubs
and such have minimum lengths for boats too. For instance, my friend
has to have a boat with a minimum length of 20 feet or 21 I don't
remember, to have a slip at his marina. The reason I ask is I am
trying to decide on what size to get. Most of my boating will be
trailer boating, and I had been looking between 18-20 feet. However,
if in the future I decide (read "can afford") to have my boat in a
marina, I don't want to lose out over a foot or two. Do your marinas
have minimum limits and what are they? Thanks, Scotty

Are you confusing the minimum size boat required to join a yacht club -often in
the low 20's- some "yacht" :-) with a some requirement that a boat kept in a
particular slip must be at least a certain size?

May be different back East, but out our way you pay for the length of the slip
at so many dollars per foot per month. Nobody seems to care if you don't use
the entire slip. If you want a 60-foot slip for a 9-foot dinghy, no problem
since you'll be paying for all 60 feet. (In a really crowded marina, I could
see somebody asking the guy with the dinghy to take a more appropriately sized
slip to reduce the waiting list for 60-footers).

Usually, the problem runs the other way.
A guy buys a "4055" Pileknocker and asks the harbormaster for a "40 -foot"
slip.
By the time you add a 4 foot bow pulpit and a six foot swimstep, the boat
actually measures out about 51 feet. Everybody walking down the central float
has to dodge the anchor hanging into the walkway, and the boat sticks well out
into the fairway aft. Cheapskate ought to rent a 50-foot slip instead of a 40
and get something that actually fits his boat. :-)
Gould 0738

That is what I was trying to ask. My question is, is there typically a
minimum size requirement for a vessel in order to join a club, or is
it just my friends club?
Scotty

Yes, there is usually a minimum size vessel required in order to join a yacht
club.

While the stereotypical image of a yacht club is a group of white pants, blue
blazer, brass buttoned old coots passing grey poupon from mega-yacht to
mega-yacht- many clubs do specify a minimum size limit that doesn't require a
relatively huge investment in a boat. Many of the minimums are at or around the
20-foot mark.

Best explanation I ever heard for the minimum size requirement was "We want our
members to own a boat capable of partiipating in club cruises and events."

Steve

The local yacht club here, Shelton WA , doesn't have a size limitation but
does require that prospective members have a boat large enough to have
sleeping accomodations aboard and prospective members must first participate
in a number of club cruises and activities afloat and ashore. Once you are a
member, it doesn't seem to matter if you keep your boat anylonger..

I wish some would get rid of there Marina Queens and give up their slips (to
someone like me, who has been on the waiting list for over 5 years).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions