Default Switlik 6-man Life Raft $1052.00 to renew certification.

I have a 6-man Switlik MD2-179 (mfg. date 03/95). It has is being
certified now by an inspection station. They called to tell me that
the total price woud be $1,052 because it required a new operating
head at a cost of $345.00.

What I am wondering is if it's worth it to spend that kind of money. I
wonder what a new one would sell for. Any ideas. Any one interested
in buying it? It is in Miami, Florida.

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 15, 3:17*pm, wrote:
I have a 6-man Switlik MD2-179 (mfg. date 03/95). *It has is being
certified now by an inspection station. *They called to tell me that
the total price woud be $1,052 because it required *a new operating
head at a cost of $345.00.

What I am wondering is if it's worth it to spend that kind of money. I
wonder what a new one would sell for. *Any ideas. *Any one interested
in buying it? *It is in Miami, Florida.

I'd pass, at over 12 years old they are not able to re-inspect
refurbish it anymore IIRC.

You can get a better deal buying a newer one..maybe ready for it's
first inspection, not it's last.

Joe

On Feb 15, 11:17 am, wrote:
I have a 6-man Switlik MD2-179 (mfg. date 03/95). It has is being
certified now by an inspection station. ...

What I am wondering is if it's worth it to spend that kind of money. I
wonder what a new one would sell for. Any ideas. Any one interested
in buying it? It is in Miami, Florida.

It seems pretty tempting to go new. I get my MD2 redone every other
year at kind of $500-800 depending on if it needs CO2 and what has
expired in the kit. The first repack is cheapest as you likely will
not have to replace much. So, $2k for a new raft assuming you skip a
year's inspection would be pretty nearly cost neutral. Also, at the
age your raft is getting to it may not be recertifiable and even if it
is you need to start worrying about the seams and fabric rot
particularly if it lives outside.

-- Tom.

wrote:
I have a 6-man Switlik MD2-179 (mfg. date 03/95). It has is being
certified now by an inspection station. They called to tell me that
the total price woud be $1,052 because it required a new operating
head at a cost of $345.00.

What I am wondering is if it's worth it to spend that kind of money. I
wonder what a new one would sell for. Any ideas. Any one interested
in buying it? It is in Miami, Florida.

I had my Switlik 4-man raft repacked last summer. It's quite ancient
(1989) and was last repacked in 1994 (yes, we indeed missed a few
inspections).

In any case when a raft is repacked after 5 or more years it must, according
to USCG standards, be inflated with the CO2 canister instead of the manual
pump (which is the usual way since the cold CO2 doesn't do much for the
durability of the fabric). When the technician pulled the pin the raft
inflated perfectly. He later determined that it held air for beyond the 48
hour period and that the raft basically functioned perfectly. Frankly I was
quite surprised (and happy). I just don't trust these gadgets, but ....

I had the same experience you had with the new CO2 valve. Apparently
Switlik sent around a circular that required a new valve after a certain
period in order to meet the USCG specs. Mine went for roughly what you were
quoted. All told, with the new valve, labor, new emergency gear, etc., the
bill came to something in the neighborhood of $900. I was glad to pay it,
and here's why.

Many technicians have been quoted as saying that the older rafts are better
quality than some of the newer models. I was surprised to hear this, but I
have heard it often enough that I'm starting to believe it. Next, I have a
custom deck mount that fits this raft, and I'm lazy. Building the mount
once was sufficient. And finally a comparable new raft is on the high side
of $4000.

If I were in your deck shoes, I'd have the raft repacked and re-certified.
However I'm going to wait until my wife leaves the room before I discuss the
gear I am adding to the ditch bag.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Switlik raft..1972 Joe ASA 8 July 5th 07 09:02 PM
life raft reuseable? EASI54 General 2 August 7th 06 05:33 PM
FOR SALE - LIFE RAFT John Cruising 2 January 19th 04 07:33 PM
life raft Question Mitch General 4 December 19th 03 03:55 PM
FS: Switlik Life Rafe in Arlington, TX just me Marketplace 0 December 2nd 03 08:44 PM