Default Detecting corrosion

How can I spot corrosion/electrolysis inside of my mast? It's extruded
aluminum.

It's this or Roger's fuel system.

Ron

"Ron Fiengold" wrote in message
How can I spot corrosion/electrolysis inside of my mast? It's extruded
aluminum.

It's this or Roger's fuel system.

Ron

A very large drill bit is not recommended....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Ron Fiengold" wrote:
How can I spot corrosion/electrolysis inside of my mast? It's extruded
aluminum.

It's this or Roger's fuel system.

First, why would you have electrolysis inside your mast? Got bare
wires running up & down in there?

There is a likelihood of electrolysis around fittings & fasteners,
which can be minimized by using the right kind and installing them
with a shield. But it's only a matter of time since galvanic action
cannot be totally stopped.

So how do you know when your mast has been weakened enough that there
is risk of it buckling from corrosion? Assuming that's the question
you meant to ask.... one way is an ultrasound scan. Another is to to
bend it to 20~50% of yield (the point where it would buckle if brand
new) and look for hard spots. In fact, it would be a good idea to do
this while the mast is still in very good shape, so you'll have a good
starting reference point for later tests. Lot of work though.

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Corrosion - Good Products to Remove Aluminum Corrosion ? B1ackwater General 8 March 30th 06 11:48 PM
WinXP not detecting all memory Steve Leyland ASA 1 November 2nd 05 12:51 AM
temp/voltage detecting battery charger ... Courtney Thomas Cruising 5 February 20th 05 04:00 AM
Corrosion JIM Cruising 0 December 10th 03 09:03 PM
Corrosion Questions Dave Alonzi General 5 August 8th 03 05:11 PM