posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Missing Boat - Catalina 38 "Ripper"

Missing Vessel, Jan 31, 2008

USCG has been asked to help locate the vessel Ripper. She is a 38 ft.
Catalina with white hull and blue trim. Known comms: VHF marine radio.

DEPARTED LAKE WORTH FLORIDA ENROUTE GUADELOUPE WITH
STOPS IN CAYSAL, CUBA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, AND PUERTO
RICO. POB: DANIEL MAXIME 65 YEAR OLD MALE AND EVELAN
MAXIME 58 YEAR OLD FEMALE, BOTH FRENCH NATIONALS.

COAST GUARD DISTRICT SEVEN RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM SHIPS AGENT
STATING SHE WAS CONCERNED BECAUSE VESSEL HAS FAILED TO ARRIVE ON
SCHEDULE AND OPERATER HAS FAILED TO CONTACT HIS DAUGHTER. THE UNITED
STATES COAST GUARD APPRECIATES ANY ASSISTANCE YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Please contact USCG San Juan at 787 289-2041 or email

Missing Vessel, Jan 31, 2008

USCG has been asked to help locate the vessel Ripper. She is a 38 ft.
Catalina with white hull and blue trim. Known comms: VHF marine radio.

DEPARTED LAKE WORTH FLORIDA ENROUTE GUADELOUPE WITH
STOPS IN CAYSAL, CUBA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, AND PUERTO
RICO. POB: DANIEL MAXIME 65 YEAR OLD MALE AND EVELAN
MAXIME 58 YEAR OLD FEMALE, BOTH FRENCH NATIONALS.

COAST GUARD DISTRICT SEVEN RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM SHIPS AGENT
STATING SHE WAS CONCERNED BECAUSE VESSEL HAS FAILED TO ARRIVE ON
SCHEDULE AND OPERATER HAS FAILED TO CONTACT HIS DAUGHTER. THE UNITED
STATES COAST GUARD APPRECIATES ANY ASSISTANCE YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Please contact USCG San Juan at 787 289-2041 or email

Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:xbnoj.3193
:

Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

After watching the special on rogue waves, they're ALL too small!

On Jan 31, 12:38*pm, larry wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:xbnoj.3193
:

Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

After watching the special on rogue waves, they're ALL too small!

Florida Straits can get rough as hell, a lot of water goes through a
small area.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:03:25 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

Maybe a little smaller than average but not dangerously so in my
opinion. More important is how it has been maintained, equipped and
sailed. There was no reference to a SSB radio or EPIRB for example,
which I consider important for offshore passage making, although many
people are successfully using satellite phones for communication.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

As someone who has made it to the S. Pacific and back with my Tayana 37,
I'd say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the length. \

The Catalina 30 I used to own certainly wasn't a boat that was desighed
for offshore work, but I dunno anything specific about the Catalina 38.
It's probably a perfectly appropriate boat to be out there with.

--
Dan Best
s/v Tricia Jean, Tayana 37 #192
posted to rec.boats.cruising, rec.boats
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 31, 2:56*pm, Dan Best wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

* Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

As someone who has made it to the S. Pacific and back with my Tayana 37,
I'd say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the length. *\

The Catalina 30 I used to own certainly wasn't a boat that was desighed
for offshore work, but I dunno anything specific about the Catalina 38.
* *It's probably a perfectly appropriate boat to be out there with.

--
Dan Best
s/v Tricia Jean, Tayana 37 #192

Anyone know of an update?
posted to rec.boats.cruising, rec.boats
Joe Joe is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

* Is that a small boat for a trip on those waters?

As someone who has made it to the S. Pacific and back with my Tayana 37,
I'd say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the length. *\

The Catalina 30 I used to own certainly wasn't a boat that was desighed
for offshore work, but I dunno anything specific about the Catalina 38.
* *It's probably a perfectly appropriate boat to be out there with.

--
Dan Best
s/v Tricia Jean, Tayana 37 #192

Anyone know of an update?

I was wondering that myself. The first report was on Jan 2nd, it did
not make it online here till the 31st.

G6XCJ HELP 01.02.08 10:41l 20 Lines 724 Bytes #999 (0) @ WW
BID : 800120G6XCJ
Subj: Missing vessel 38ft Catalina
Hello all,

Have been requested to give info on a missing vessel the 38ft Catalina
en-
route Florida to Guadelope via Cuba et Dominikan Republic. Known comms
on
board VHF Marine radio. Name of vessel Ripper. (Have checked with
APRS.FI
who are unable to give a callsign for vessel). POB two french
nationals
male 65 and female 58. Reported overdue at destination by a relative.
Any
sightings please to US CoastGuard. Have done a sat search but without
callsign of vessel seemingly impossible. (Source of alert:Winlink).

Best wishes/Meilleurs sentiments/Bo-jong
posted to rec.boats, rec.boats.cruising

On Jan 31, 11:48*am, Wayne.B wrote:
Missing Vessel, *Jan 31, 2008

USCG has been asked to help locate the vessel Ripper. She is a 38 ft.
Catalina with white hull and blue trim. Known comms: VHF marine radio.

DEPARTED LAKE WORTH FLORIDA ENROUTE GUADELOUPE WITH
STOPS IN CAYSAL, CUBA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, AND PUERTO
RICO. *POB: *DANIEL MAXIME 65 YEAR OLD MALE AND EVELAN
MAXIME 58 YEAR OLD FEMALE, BOTH FRENCH NATIONALS.

COAST GUARD DISTRICT SEVEN RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM SHIPS AGENT
STATING SHE WAS CONCERNED BECAUSE VESSEL HAS FAILED TO ARRIVE ON
SCHEDULE AND *OPERATER HAS FAILED TO CONTACT HIS DAUGHTER. THE UNITED
STATES COAST GUARD APPRECIATES ANY ASSISTANCE YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Please contact USCG San Juan at 787 289-2041 or email

There seems to be a missing lobster boat too.