Default going wrong way

For a couple of weeks we've been headed north on the ICW, from Florida
to our home in NC. This is the wrong way to go in January.

Southbound boats pass us at least a dozen times a day, about 3/5
sailboats. Until
yesterday, we never saw a sailboat using it's sails, either. Yesterday
we saw one boat with their genny unrolled as they motored south with a
favorable wind. Then later in the day at Ossabaw Sound we saw a guy
sailing south... he was actually close-hauled and fighting a little
tidal current too. The boat was a Hans Christian named "To-Ta" in case
anybody else sees him.

BTW we refueled in Ft Pierce Florida, we are now in SC and have used
about 1/4 tank (have 3/4 left). Slow but efficient, that's us.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

wrote in message
For a couple of weeks we've been headed north on the ICW, from Florida
to our home in NC. This is the wrong way to go in January.

Southbound boats pass us at least a dozen times a day, about 3/5
sailboats. Until
yesterday, we never saw a sailboat using it's sails, either. Yesterday
we saw one boat with their genny unrolled as they motored south with a
favorable wind. Then later in the day at Ossabaw Sound we saw a guy
sailing south... he was actually close-hauled and fighting a little
tidal current too. The boat was a Hans Christian named "To-Ta" in case
anybody else sees him.

BTW we refueled in Ft Pierce Florida, we are now in SC and have used
about 1/4 tank (have 3/4 left). Slow but efficient, that's us.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

If he was close hauled and fighting a current... you must be on a broad
reach with the current pushing you along.
I'd say you're going the 'right way', as long as you get off before you
arrive up here. ;-)

"Don White" wrote:
If he was close hauled and fighting a current... you must be on a broad
reach with the current pushing you along.
I'd say you're going the 'right way', as long as you get off before you
arrive up here. ;-)

Yep we were on a "broad reach" with the Ford Lehman genny unrolled to
about 1400rpm
http://dnkcruising.blogspot.com/

In coastal Georgia, the current on the ICW is very very transient
(although strong... 3 knot currents are common) because the rivers ae
so twisty and the inlets so close together. If you have a current
against you, just keep plugging along because in 3 miles or so it will
reverse as you approach the next estuary/inlet.

I love this part of the coast, but the tides can be maddening... so
much so that I don't even worry about them unless anchoring for the
night, then I only want to make sure we have enough water under us to
not bottom out; and let out enough scope to not yank the anchor out at
high.

DSK

wrote in message
"Don White" wrote:
If he was close hauled and fighting a current... you must be on a broad
reach with the current pushing you along.
I'd say you're going the 'right way', as long as you get off before you
arrive up here. ;-)

Yep we were on a "broad reach" with the Ford Lehman genny unrolled to
about 1400rpm

snip...

Oh yeah...forgot for a minute that you 'sail' for the dark side.

Don White wrote:
wrote in message
"Don White" wrote:
If he was close hauled and fighting a current... you must be on a broad
reach with the current pushing you along.
I'd say you're going the 'right way', as long as you get off before you
arrive up here. ;-)

Yep we were on a "broad reach" with the Ford Lehman genny unrolled to
about 1400rpm

snip...

Oh yeah...forgot for a minute that you 'sail' for the dark side.

Yeah, but it's pretty much a bitch to do canals and inland waterways
under sail. I'd love to hear the conversation with the lock master when
you tell him you intend to sail into his lock.

Cheers
Marty

Marty wrote:
Yeah, but it's pretty much a bitch to do canals and inland waterways
under sail. I'd love to hear the conversation with the lock master when
you tell him you intend to sail into his lock.

He might like that better than if you told him you were going to be
towed in by mules.

DSK

Marty wrote:
Yeah, but it's pretty much a bitch to do canals and inland waterways
under sail. I'd love to hear the conversation with the lock master when
you tell him you intend to sail into his lock.

He might like that better than if you told him you were going to be
towed in by mules.

Alas, poor Yorick, where have the old ways gone?

Cheers
Marty, (did Yorick have mules?)

I have seen a dray pulling a heavy barge often enough - but not
a mule.

Brian W

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:21:56 -0500, Marty wrote:

Aren't switching/shunting engines sometimes referred to a "mules", in
which case there's quite a few ships moves through the Panama Canals
with mules? ;-O

I have heard the Panama locos called mules. There are short bits of
track there that are at 100% grade, or 45 degrees. The locos only
climb them when not under load.

www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Casady

What more could go wrong?!?!?! Maxprop ASA 0 April 16th 07 04:47 AM
Wrong!!!!!! Gilligan ASA 16 October 25th 06 03:56 AM
I am wrong Bobsprit ASA 4 December 16th 03 03:12 AM
Wrong? Wally ASA 14 December 13th 03 10:53 PM
What's wrong with you? Bobsprit ASA 4 November 1st 03 09:32 PM