Default communication question

Ok,, you win... I was wrong.. It has been snowing for weeks, I am out of
canned spam, and canned
chiily con carnaa, ... I can't get down the back steps... my cat left me
for the cat across the street....
my neighbors are dead inside their home and no one cares because it is too
cold to go and check on them...

Thank god I have this computer so I can vent...

Good luck with the 40 footer..

My phone is one of the Virgin prepay jobs.

Doesn't work..

But... it is the only time I get to hold a Virgin..

So .. I'm keeping it!

"Ken Marino" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 01:00:29 +0000, Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:

The guy boat a 40' boat, but he can't figure out what phone to use ..

And that makes me a what?

wrote in message

"Sir Thomas of Cannondale" wrote:
Wait,, you have the money for a 40' yacht and you want to know what
marine
telephone to use?

%^$4^*()64#$%%^$#

That' all I can tell ya.

What a back porch Bolshevik... anybody who seems to be richer than him
****es him off.

DSK

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR POSITIVE FEEDBACK sir thomas. Just for your info,
buying a used 40' sailboat does not make you a wealthy person. Also, the
wealthiest person in the world should be smart enough to ask questions
about cellular communications and internet availability in a part of the
world they have never been to. Not all areas of the world come up to the
perfect standards of communication you find in your little world.

Ken Marino wrote:
Fairly new to the group. My wife and I purchased a 40' sailboat about 6
months ago and are ready for our first long trip, We plan to spend 2-3
months in the Florida keys and Bahamas--mostly the latter. Any suggestions
on a reasonably priced ( I know cheap is out of the question ) phone and
or data plans out there? Many thanks in advance for any and all
suggestions. Also open to starting an ongoing exchange of experiences with
any who have done or are doing similar trips.

Another option would be to get a sat phone, preferably Iridium. I
bought a used phone for $750 and can get minutes in blocks of 500 for
about $1.20 per minute. Data connections are available.

And they work everywhere. And incoming calls are charged to the caller,
discourages interruptions.

Maybe a bit over the top but it is an option.

Sir Thomas of Cannondale wrote:
Ok,, you win... I was wrong.. It has been snowing for weeks, I am out of
canned spam, and canned
chiily con carnaa, ... I can't get down the back steps... my cat left me
for the cat across the street....
my neighbors are dead inside their home and no one cares because it is too
cold to go and check on them...

Thank god I have this computer so I can vent...

Good luck with the 40 footer..

My phone is one of the Virgin prepay jobs.

Doesn't work..

But... it is the only time I get to hold a Virgin..

So .. I'm keeping it!

You could always go into the suicide bomber business, a whole slew of
virgins every time you blow up!
Red Red is offline

Geoff Shultz wrote:
same
phone as you used in the States. For example, T-Mobile utilizes GSM phones
in the US. When you get to the Bahamas, purchase a SIM card from BATELCO
and purchase minutes as you go along.

Hi Geoff,
I have T-Mobile here and while they do use GSM their phones are not
unlocked - you have to use their programmed cards (at least this is what
the guy selling all the brands of phones and services at his booth told
me). I was looking at unlocked GSM phones and found them to be a bit
pricey and not a big selection available, but it seemed to make sense to
get one if you're going to be abroad for awhile. If you are only
travelling for a week or so at a time it makes more sense to keep your
U.S. phone and have the phone company get you the service over there.
Red

Gordon wrote in news:13o0rt3smq0rs32
@corp.supernews.com:

You could always go into the suicide bomber business, a whole slew of
virgins every time you blow up!

I got depressed and called the suicide hotline over Christmas....
The call went to a call center in Pakistan.

They got all excited when I told them I was suicidal and asked how big a
truck I could drive.....

Red wrote in
:

Geoff Shultz wrote:
same
phone as you used in the States. For example, T-Mobile utilizes GSM
phones in the US. When you get to the Bahamas, purchase a SIM card
from BATELCO and purchase minutes as you go along.

Hi Geoff,
I have T-Mobile here and while they do use GSM their phones are not
unlocked - you have to use their programmed cards (at least this is
what the guy selling all the brands of phones and services at his
booth told me). I was looking at unlocked GSM phones and found them to
be a bit pricey and not a big selection available, but it seemed to
make sense to get one if you're going to be abroad for awhile. If you
are only travelling for a week or so at a time it makes more sense to
keep your U.S. phone and have the phone company get you the service
over there. Red

Simply buy an unlocked phone via eBay or there are many services which will
unlock your existing phone. I purchased a Motorola T-Mobile GSM phone for
$51 last year on eBay.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Don't forget, a GSM network has more capabilities than pure phone
service, for instance internet and email access. There are global
providers mostl with cheaper roaming fees than you US-provider is
asking for, but whenever we stay a little longer in any country, just
go for a local SIM-card. Internet access via GPRS or UMTS is sometimes
surprisingly cheap (sometimes not), and I prefer to make my bank
transactions in the privacy of my own boat.

What Phone: GSM only is worldwide :

be sure it is a tri-, better quadband GSM as US is using other
frequencies than the rest of the world.

if money permits, be sure it is at least GPRS capable, better though
EDGE best UMTS

UMTS, in some countries called 3G, uses different technology and is
much faster, but mostly only available in larger cities, but this
depends on the provider, might sometimes be countrywide if it is a new
proider without the "old" technology. All UMTS phones are GSM capable
too. This comes closest to broadband you might be used at home.

EDGE is an enhancement for GSM, cheaper upgrade for the providers,
they do not need new Antenna towers, just a few electronic parts, so
it is more widespread, but much faster than GPRS, much much faster
than ISDN

GPRS was the first data service for GSM phones, still much better then
using dial-up service.

All these data services are usually volume paid, if time, then onl the
actual transmitting time, much better again compared to dial up. One
thing I agree, learning how to program cellphone and computer to work
together might sometimes be frustrating.

for the technical terms wikipedia and/or searchmachines are
helpful ;-)

Still I'd have an external WIFI antenna on board just in case you
catch a free signal somewhere, marinas and restaurants sometimes
provide free service, sometimes for a charge. ;-)

communication Ken Marino ASA 0 January 3rd 08 10:39 PM
boat to shore communication Del Cecchi Electronics 27 June 6th 05 12:00 AM
VHF Marine Radio Communication James Hebert Electronics 17 January 13th 05 02:28 AM
C-MAP communication 2 stopbits? sape General 1 May 14th 04 08:25 PM
C-MAP communication 2 stopbits? sape Electronics 1 May 14th 04 08:25 PM