Default navman

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 05:12:10 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Still, any one of them is probably good enough to get you back home in
quiet conditions.

How soon we forget. Most any of them give lat/long. They replace the
sextant, not charts. If you also get some sort of database, so much
the better.

Casady

For christmas I was given a navman for the car. Does anyone know if
this can be used as a chart plotter. can on e buy a cmap or whatever
to go with it or is it purely a land lubbers thing.

On 2008-01-03 22:00:01 -0500, dave said:

For christmas I was given a navman for the car. Does anyone know if
this can be used as a chart plotter. can on e buy a cmap or whatever to
go with it or is it purely a land lubbers thing.

I don't know the unit, but some caveats: 1) the non-marine ones often
aren't very water-resistant. 2) Some use an averaging algorithm instead
of many, many position calculations (or something like that) so may not
be powerful enough at boat speeds. [That one really surprised me.]

Personally, if it doesn't have a light list and NMEA/Seatalk
connectivity, I'll pass.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

dave wrote:
For christmas I was given a navman for the car. Does anyone know if
this can be used as a chart plotter. can on e buy a cmap or whatever
to go with it or is it purely a land lubbers thing.

Youn could probably navigate the Florida Keys with it, so long as you were
in a car and not a boat.

Dennis.

Navman and SmartCraft Phil Electronics 0 December 10th 06 07:22 PM
Navman 8120 and Navman in general David Rinnan Electronics 0 November 7th 06 12:16 AM
Ipaq Navman & Mapopolis Not! Kim Lauzon Cruising 0 December 4th 04 01:40 AM
Navman 900 says "NO GPS" Richard Taranto Electronics 1 September 28th 04 05:09 AM
Navman G-PILOT jesperl Electronics 0 December 1st 03 07:34 PM