BoatBanter.com

-   -   navman (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/89662-navman.html)

Richard Casady January 3rd 08 07:20 PM

navman

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 05:12:10 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Still, any one of them is probably good enough to get you back home in
quiet conditions.

How soon we forget. Most any of them give lat/long. They replace the
sextant, not charts. If you also get some sort of database, so much
the better.

Casady

dave January 4th 08 03:00 AM

navman

For christmas I was given a navman for the car. Does anyone know if
this can be used as a chart plotter. can on e buy a cmap or whatever
to go with it or is it purely a land lubbers thing.

Jere Lull January 4th 08 05:12 AM

navman

On 2008-01-03 22:00:01 -0500, dave said:

For christmas I was given a navman for the car. Does anyone know if
this can be used as a chart plotter. can on e buy a cmap or whatever to
go with it or is it purely a land lubbers thing.

I don't know the unit, but some caveats: 1) the non-marine ones often
aren't very water-resistant. 2) Some use an averaging algorithm instead
of many, many position calculations (or something like that) so may not
be powerful enough at boat speeds. [That one really surprised me.]

Personally, if it doesn't have a light list and NMEA/Seatalk
connectivity, I'll pass.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Dennis Pogson January 4th 08 11:18 AM

navman

dave wrote:
For christmas I was given a navman for the car. Does anyone know if
this can be used as a chart plotter. can on e buy a cmap or whatever
to go with it or is it purely a land lubbers thing.

Youn could probably navigate the Florida Keys with it, so long as you were
in a car and not a boat.

Dennis.

Marc Heusser[_2_] January 4th 08 08:03 PM

navman

In article ,
(Richard Casady) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 05:12:10 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Still, any one of them is probably good enough to get you back home in
quiet conditions.

How soon we forget. Most any of them give lat/long. They replace the
sextant, not charts. If you also get some sort of database, so much
the better.

Another difference to marine GPS is that they most likely do not include
SDGPS, ie more precise position (like 2 metres instead of 20 metres).
Of course, on open sea this does not make any difference.

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com