Default Fuel consumption on Volvo MD6A?

Next Project on my Crown 28 (it doesn't end, does it?) is a new fuel
tank. I have NO IDEA what the fuel consumption is - anybody have any
guesses? (One reason I'm replacing it is that there's no way to
determine how much fuel there is the tank) If not the MD6A
specifically, what figures would I expect for an old 10hp 2-cyl? I
know my new M25XPB cruised at about 0.7 gph. This engine is 1/2 the
size, but a lot older.

Any help?
druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:54:25 -0800 (PST), druid
wrote:

Next Project on my Crown 28 (it doesn't end, does it?) is a new fuel
tank. I have NO IDEA what the fuel consumption is - anybody have any
guesses? (One reason I'm replacing it is that there's no way to
determine how much fuel there is the tank) If not the MD6A
specifically, what figures would I expect for an old 10hp 2-cyl? I
know my new M25XPB cruised at about 0.7 gph. This engine is 1/2 the
size, but a lot older.

Any help?
druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Figure 3 or 4 hours to the gallon unless you are running it wide open.
Our old Westerly 28 had a 9 gallon tank and it used to last several
months.

In a 30 ft. Ballad (deplacement = 3,5t; 1/4t sailboat), with the above
engine from 1973, we used to measure 1½ l. per hour when doing some 5 knots
in "quiet waters".

I hope you can recalculate til gallons ... Roughly speaking 4 liters til the
gallon ... so we did a little less than three hours to the gallon ...

--
best regards
Flemming Torp

On Jan 1, 1:34 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Figure 3 or 4 hours to the gallon unless you are running it wide open.
Our old Westerly 28 had a 9 gallon tank and it used to last several
months.

OK... both you and Roger are leaning towards about 3 hrs per gal
conservatively. At 5 knots "cruise", a 12 gal tank would give me about
150 miles, with 2 gals reserve. Sounds OK (although I'll still get the
19 gal if I can get it to fit! The 12gal will definitely fit.)

druid

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:02:57 -0800 (PST), druid
wrote:

On Jan 1, 1:34 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Figure 3 or 4 hours to the gallon unless you are running it wide open.
Our old Westerly 28 had a 9 gallon tank and it used to last several
months.

OK... both you and Roger are leaning towards about 3 hrs per gal
conservatively. At 5 knots "cruise", a 12 gal tank would give me about
150 miles, with 2 gals reserve. Sounds OK (although I'll still get the
19 gal if I can get it to fit! The 12gal will definitely fit.)

druid

On a Yamaha 30 with a Yanmar 2GM13, I got about 1.5 litres/hr, if I
remember correctly.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

On 2008-01-01 17:02:57 -0500, druid said:

On Jan 1, 1:34 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Figure 3 or 4 hours to the gallon unless you are running it wide open.
Our old Westerly 28 had a 9 gallon tank and it used to last several
months.

OK... both you and Roger are leaning towards about 3 hrs per gal
conservatively. At 5 knots "cruise", a 12 gal tank would give me about
150 miles, with 2 gals reserve. Sounds OK (although I'll still get the
19 gal if I can get it to fit! The 12gal will definitely fit.)

druid

At 5 knots (not 5.5), you're probably in a good ballpark. Average speed
makes a real difference.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Jan 1, 1:58 pm, "Flemming Torp" torpkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote:
In a 30 ft. Ballad (deplacement = 3,5t; 1/4t sailboat), with the above
engine from 1973, we used to measure 1½ l. per hour when doing some 5 knots
in "quiet waters".

I hope you can recalculate til gallons ... Roughly speaking 4 liters til the
gallon ... so we did a little less than three hours to the gallon ...

No, litres is good - I'm a nice metric Canadian, only mentioned gals
so those Americans would understand...

Looking at a 50 l tank, so at 5 knots with a couple litres to spare,
range would be about 150 miles. (if its not "quiet", there's wind and
I can sail!)

Thanks
druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

On 2008-01-01 17:02:57 -0500, druid said:

On Jan 1, 1:34 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Figure 3 or 4 hours to the gallon unless you are running it wide open.
Our old Westerly 28 had a 9 gallon tank and it used to last several
months.

OK... both you and Roger are leaning towards about 3 hrs per gal
conservatively. At 5 knots "cruise", a 12 gal tank would give me about
150 miles, with 2 gals reserve. Sounds OK (although I'll still get the
19 gal if I can get it to fit! The 12gal will definitely fit.)

druid

At 5 knots (not 5.5), you're probably in a good ballpark. Average speed
makes a real difference.

aYup!
Knotmeter says 5.5, pretty much 6 WOT, but 5 is more realistic for
navigation purposes. Once I win the lottery (or at least a scratch-n-
win...) and put in the 2GM20F, I'll use 5.5 (maybe even 6). And you're
right: that 1/2 knot makes a HUGE difference!

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

"druid" skrev i en meddelelse
No, litres is good - I'm a nice metric Canadian, only mentioned gals
so those Americans would understand...

Looking at a 50 l tank, so at 5 knots with a couple litres to spare,
range would be about 150 miles. (if its not "quiet", there's wind and
I can sail!)

Thanks
druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

This summer, I visited family on Vancouver Island, and enjoyed sailing
in the beautiful waters in and around Georgia Strait. Where I come from,
the current is generally not that much of a problem, but I learned, that
the tide in some of your waters can give some very different conditions
and boat speeds. I.e.: 50 liters of diesel may not always give you 150
NM ... ;0) ... But you can count on your engine will run for a little
more than 30 hours ... ;0) ...

--
Flemming Torp

On Jan 2, 7:59 am, "Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark
wrote:
"druid" skrev i en ...
No, litres is good - I'm a nice metric Canadian, only mentioned gals
so those Americans would understand...

Looking at a 50 l tank, so at 5 knots with a couple litres to spare,
range would be about 150 miles. (if its not "quiet", there's wind and
I can sail!)

Thanks
druidhttp://www.bcboatnet.org

This summer, I visited family on Vancouver Island, and enjoyed sailing
in the beautiful waters in and around Georgia Strait. Where I come from,
the current is generally not that much of a problem, but I learned, that
the tide in some of your waters can give some very different conditions
and boat speeds. I.e.: 50 liters of diesel may not always give you 150
NM ... ;0) ... But you can count on your engine will run for a little
more than 30 hours ... ;0) ...

Yup. Part of "navigation" in these waters is accounting for tidal
currents, both in when you hit a pass or channel, and in range, etc.
In Theory it balances out (you'll be going with the current as often
as against it), but Local Knowledge says differently: for instance,
flood tide around White Islets can be 2-3 knots, but ebb tide is
pretty much non-existant. And there's a place around Arran Rapids
where flood and ebb tide go the same direction! (ask Capn Vancouver!)

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Fuel consumption Harold Fontemier General 6 July 9th 06 04:46 AM
Help with fuel consumption? Bill Kiene General 4 November 11th 05 04:44 PM
Fuel consumption? Scott Vernon ASA 51 September 29th 04 12:52 AM
What is your fuel consumption? Matt Lang General 30 May 27th 04 08:50 PM
fuel consumption 9.9 hp Gammara2 Cruising 6 November 17th 03 03:44 AM