Default January 1 - It was the best of times, it was the worst oftimes...

Hi, Doug, and list,

On Jan 2, 1:56 pm, wrote:
We just came back from a chilly walk and watched the boats anchored
out in St. Augustine's harbor bouncing around, can't imagine being
offshore today... actually I can imagine it quite well, and would even
consider it fun in a daysailer or racing class boat, for a few hours,
but not for a long run and especially not in a vessel that was also my
home! I hope that Skip will reply from Miami after a great run, being
already south of us, or that they're snug "inside" somewhere.

Well, indeed, we did invite two additional crew, Lydia having become
considerably more open-minded in the last few month, Prudence and
Patience along on this trip.

So, we're anchored in Lake Boca Raton, a puddle off the ICW. Due to
the bridges, we'll have to go outside to get to Government Cut, the
area we're headed to, and it's still pretty messy outside, but it's
only about 15 miles. We'll take under advisement whether we go from
Port Everglades, the nearest (well, perhaps only) opportunity tomorrow
PM or hang there and wait for a bit.

And, of course, I had said:

Thanks. We're not going near the Stream. It will truly be a mess in
that time - forecasts in the stream call for 15-18 feet after
midnight, with gale gusts. We'll hug the coast where it's forecast for
20K, 3-5', and by late dark-morning/midnight+, potential 40 gusts.

That sounds ugly enough that it would keep me in port... in fact it
*is* keeping us in port!
Call us wimps

Well, I had next to no sleep on NYEve, and that was the deciding
factor. Looking at the bouy reports this evening, likely it would
have been do-able, but I really didn't like the prospect of rigging
for gales, but only having 20 all the time. I would have been a
constant rock and roll. The forecast, by the time we'd have left,
had deteriorated to the gusts being gale or better, and with a
doubling of wind speed over typical, that could have been a real
bugger to manage...

As of this minute, we're considering sailing down the ICW, which will
take longer, of course, but if the wind holds, could be done. I have
less than no enthusiasm for driving this boat to Miami! :{)) - but if
we have consistent 15+ winds in any of the directions forecast, it's
do-able, bridges being a serious nuisance, but not a problem...

Right, the ditch is far less fun for most of this stretch and
troublesome for a boat like yours... we go right under most bridges
and have yet to run aground in the ICW (we have bumped occasionally
when exploring off the chart).

Heh. We got perhaps an hour of sailing - which was lovely - but with
all the bridges, and the extremely narrow channel, elected to motor
the rest. At that, near marker 33, which was knocked over and barely
above the water, under sail, we went aground firmly not far from the
bridge, having touched several times before that. Roll up the sail,
and back off the bar, and that was the last of the sail.

Here, the biggest deal is how cold it will be tonight. Little wind,
just enough water, which makes for a short anchor chain, having eaten
dinner (which warmed up the saloon), we'll watch a movie and repair to
our opened-engine-room-doors-warmed aft quarters. We'll get an early
start tomorrow, and, all other things being normal, will be on the
ball in front of the Miami Yacht Club (not a club ball - a friend's)
and hooked up to the internet again...

Anyway am looking forward to hearing from you all. Maybe our paths
will cross.

I'd enjoy that. And, for any watching, with bated breath, here's
hearing from me :{))

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:35:39 -0800 (PST), Skip Gundlach
wrote:

Hi, Doug, and list,

Well, indeed, we did invite two additional crew, Lydia having become
considerably more open-minded in the last few month, Prudence and
Patience along on this trip.

L8R

Skip

No that's an anti-depressant Rx I can relate to -
What a guy!

Brian W

Who but the Times... Gilligan ASA 14 December 22nd 06 07:09 AM
The Times Dave Manby UK Paddle 2 February 2nd 06 02:41 PM
Sad Times Indeed...for now Bobsprit ASA 12 July 2nd 04 02:21 PM