Steve

Default MariTEL DSC telephone call availability??

I've finished intstalling and programing my new DSC capable VHF. I'm reading
through some of the features and find mention of MariTEL DSC Telephone Call,
send and receive.. What is this??

I understand that the old High Seas Marine Operate service went away about 8
years ago.. I used that service a couple times when cruising in Baja and in
the San Juans. Now with cell phone I haven't bothered to keep up with what
ever might have replaced the Marine Operator..

Or is this MariTEL another 'pie in the sky' that is only a concept and may
never be a reality..

I would expect that it would be more expensive than cell phone, even if you
outside your service providers area..

I could see it being used by family ashore if they aren't able to reach me
by cell phone or for someone who doesn't know my cell phone number.. I
always have the VHF on when underway but the cell phone though on, might be
put out of the way to protect it while underway.

One problem that I use to have with the Marine Operator in the past was
answering calls for another vessel that had the same name as mine.. The DSC
SSID should resolve that.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

paul jaudon

Found this on the Maritel website:

MariTEL Marine
Communications

After over 30 years of service to mariners across
the United States, MariTEL is discontinuing marine voice
communications service. Effective June 6, 2003,
MariTEL’s marine radio network will be closed.

MariTEL is in the process of developing a suite of
data services for the marine industry.

You will be hearing much more about MariTEL’s
planned new services in the near future.

Note:
Standard Horizon radio purchasers, the free one
year MariTEL service offer has been discontinued.

Steve

Well I'm sure glad I wasn't planning on this service.. In fact I wasn't even
aware of it until I was reading the DSC features section of my manual..

Thanks for the info..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

Well I'm sure glad I wasn't planning on this service.. In fact I wasn't even
aware of it until I was reading the DSC features section of my manual..

Thanks for the info..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Hi Steve,
Maritel was just another Mobile Phone Service that got crushed by the
Cellphone industry. It was a good Idea that was technically about three
years behind the times.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @