Larry W4CSC

Default Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:55:14 -0500, DSK wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:
....The model is VEC1093A.
http://www.battery-rechargeable-char...y-charger.html
WalMart has it discounted to $89 and change from its $110 retail.
Walmart also makes refunds and returns just too easy, any port in the
country.

Sounds like a great leap forward in technology if it really will do the
same job as a "$800 West Marine smart charger." FWIW I bought a
UL-marine rated 40 amp 3 output smart charger for about half that, but
it's still a lot more than this Wal-Mart charger.

The only problems I see
1- you can't put 480 watts through a box much smaller & lighter than the
West Marine kind, something's gotta give.

One side of the case, that yellow part in the picture, is one giant
aluminum heat sink. Then, there is a large blower fan that comes on
with the charger and remains on throughout the cycles. At 40A it's
cool. I'm monitoring its output with a series shunt feeding my
o'scope to watch it work. Its output will be VERY equipment friendly!
It's PURE DC not the usual half or full wave pulses of the powerline.

2- it is apparently not UL-marine rated, which might void your insurance
policy

Interesting point.....

3- if it shuts itself off after every charge, then you could still go
aboard your boat to find a dead battery

Yes, I wouldn't recommend it replace the boat charger. I've emailed
Vector to ask about a marine version that's mountable and continuously
operating without the complete shutdown feature.

The diagnostics look pretty cool. I wonder if there is any way to over
ride the 'Battery Voltage Too Low' fault.

If the battery voltage ever gets THAT low, the whole battery bank is
TOAST. It's a charger, not a wizard....(c;

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!
Keith

Default OT Hijacking a discussion, was Bought cool new digital charger....$89?

Oh gawd... here we go again. Gotta turn this newsgroup into wrecked.botes
and ruin it with OT ****. That's why I left THAT NG completely.

--

Keith
__
"Ken Heaton" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.4c5c86796eb9b8d5e9b813243cdee911@107 5221877.cotse.net...
Ken Heaton wrote:

Comments below:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Larry W4CSC wrote:

snipped bits were here

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!

Perhaps those people who think that a military invasion of another
country to steal its assets is immoral? But, then, what would you

know
about that kind of morality?
--
Email sent to is never read.

This must be a record for haw fast you can take a thread off topic.

Isn't
it customary to put OT in the header (as a courtesy) if you're going

do
this?
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

I believe Larry took this post "off-topic" with the bit of garbage he
puts at the end of his posts, extolling U.S. imperialism.

Harry, you've certainly got a point there.

Larry, why do you put that bit on the end of your posts? You don't

actually
believe the US should take by force the resources of another country? Do
you believe the US has the right to take what it pleases? Curious.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Check your email account listed here, Doug.

See, Doug? Innocent people don't behave this way.

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Check your email account listed here, Doug.

See, Doug? Innocent people don't behave this way.

Ken Heaton

Sorry about the cross posting, I hadn't noticed I was replying to a cross
posted message until I had sent my reply. I'm perfectly happy to stay here
and leave them alone over there.
--

"Ken Heaton" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.4c5c86796eb9b8d5e9b813243cdee911@107 5221877.cotse.net...
Ken Heaton wrote:

snipped bit was here

Ken Heaton

"Ken Heaton" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.4c5c86796eb9b8d5e9b813243cdee911@107 5221877.cotse.net...
Ken Heaton wrote:

snipped bit was here

Larry W4CSC

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:24:18 GMT, "Dennis Gibbons"
wrote:

Does it have a way to limit voltage so it can be used with gels?

I was up in Orangeburg, SC, trying to get the trees from the awful ice
storm off his home all day today. I left my battery switch in my
stepvan shop off and ran a very heavy load (30-40A) for over 8 hours
on the 330AH golf cart batteries, my "house batteries" that run the
shop, lighting, AC inverter, etc. When I got home tonight, I put the
new charger on the house batteries with everything off to see how it
would react. I set it for a 40A charge rate, the maximum charge. It
ran about 39A for about 6 minutes, then beeped (indicates drop in
charge rate by the computer) and charged at 21A for another 10
minutes, then beeped again and settled at 9.4A for a long time. You
CANNOT overset the charge rate. The computer will simply not permit
it. I have a digital battery voltage meter that runs continuously on
the house batteries, one of those cheapies that plugs into a cigarette
lighter socket. At no time did the voltage reading exceed 14V. This
meter cannot respond to any pulse technology, however. I don't think
you could hurt any battery with it.

My old analog cellular phone runs off a 2.3AH gelcell pack. Instead
of hooking it to is boat 1.5A float charger last night, I hooked it to
the beast to see what the computer's reaction would be. I selected
40A, again, and the computer instantly took that out of my hands
before even getting my fingers off the buttons. It settled on a 1.3A
charge rate for my 2.3AH gelcell for about 10 minutes, then switched
the current down to .8A for an hour. The gelcell was quite deeply
discharged. After 2 hours, I noted it had dropped the charge rate to
..4A and beeped FUL about 3 hours after that....satisfied the little
gelcell was charged. It ran the phone all day, today, just fine.
Must have done a good job. The gelcell got barely warm last night.

Try hooking a 40A charger to a tiny gelcell.....OUCH!

Sure looked funny with the huge clamps on the tiny terminals....(c;

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!

SB

Default Bought cool new digital charger & OPT OUT CODE ....$89? WalMart?!!

Larry:

Any chance you can share that opt out encoding with any of us? Sounds like
fun and a good way to complete some of those mandatory registration
processes.

BTW: I got a kick out of your tag line.

Bob

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:39:15 GMT, JimL
wrote:

I Looked at the owners manual from their website. Looking at the
Performance Features, it's very impressive. Especially the
Recondition mode. Got an old battery to test that feature?

The carefully worded manual says it is to rejuvie working batteries,
not raise the dead. I reconditioned an old trolling motor battery
last night and all day today, but I've been in Orangeburg, SC, all day
trying to save my father's home from the terrible ice storm which just
tore Orangeburg apart Monday. Worst ice storm we've had since the
1970's! So, I haven't had time to test the AH rating of the trolling
motor battery.

Tonight, I'm reconditioning the 330AH golf cart house batteries in my
stepvan electronics shop. They're good batteries, too, but this is
probably good for them. They go through hell when I jerk 60ADC out of
them to power a loud music system at some outdoor party. I'm sure
they could use it.

Don't forget to send that warranty card in! I noticed that it
has a five year warranty *IF* you send in the warranty card within
10 days of purchase.

Yes, already sent...(c; Noticed they have no online registration. I
also sent them my OPT-OUT warning with the card, properly encoded data
so I can tell if they sell my information to outside parties, the
usual reason they are so adamant these days about having your personal
information....so they can sell it to the spammers.