Default ww11

On Dec 6, 10:16 am, Martin Baxter wrote:
Gordon wrote:

HOW THE D-DAY INVASION WOULD BE REPORTED BY TODAY'S PRESS

NORMANDY , FRANCE

[snip]

Several thousand Americans died during the first hours of the invasion,
and French officials are concerned that the uncollected corpses will
pose a public-health risk. "The Americans should have planned for this
in advance," they said. "It's their mess, and we don't intend to help
clean it up."

Yup, sounds right, totally ignore the other guys involvement, (mostly
Brits and Canucks in this case) and claim John Wayne won the war by himself.

Cheers
Marty

No one's ignoring the other guys, I just looked up the military deaths
during WW2, I couldn't find a breakdown for D Day. They don't have a
listing for Canadians, for GB - 403,000, for the US - 407,000, I'm not
so sure those numbers include the Merchant Marines, mostly Americans
and Canadians. Considering that war was not fought on US soil, those
are pretty big numbers for the US. So I wouldn't down play the role of
the US in WW2. If you're from the UK, you might want to ask some of
your oldest relitives, that may have been alive during WW2, what they
think of the US role, they will probably be very thankful for our help
during their time of need, when they had no one else to turn to.
During WW2 my Dad and both grandfathers were in the US Navy, all my
Uncles were in the Army, one served with Patton and had shrapnel in
his legs for the rest of his life, and my Mom and her Mother worked in
a factory making morters. We didn't win the war all by ourselves, but
one thing you can be sure of, had we not been involved supplying men,
material and supplies to the UK, and what was left of Europe, the war
would have turned out very differantly.