Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Default West Marine POS cabin heater

Hi all,

Okay, granted this is a $59 heater and not worth its weight in bubble
gum, but the darn thing quit working and it was easy to take apart. So...

I have isolated the part that has failed, however, I can't identify it
(other than as the overheat protector). I think it's some kind of
thermistor; it doesn't look like a fuse. I'm no electronics whiz -- it
could be damn near anything.

However, if I could replace this part, I'm certain I'd have a working
heater again (at least for maybe another month).

The number stamped on the part is: A56 50N3510 8A98 C

Web searches yielded zilch. There is no information to be found anywhere
on the heater, unsurprisingly.

Any information anyone could provide would be infinitely appreciated.
TIA!

Regards,
Larry W4CSC

Does it look like a little silver bullet with axial leads and one end
is plugged with a white ceramic something?

If so, it IS a thermal fuse, designed to open the current when the
device gets too hot, usually 350F or something like that. It's a
one-shot affair, usually melted because the fan bound up and didn't
blow the heat out of the box or you covered the air intake. Whatever
overheated it needs to be corrected, obviously.

Of all places, RADIO SHACK has these thermal fuses in those new parts
drawers in what's left of the parts department. A buck or two....buy
two and have a spare you can't ever find again.

It's not a thermistor, it's just a soft metal element inside the
bullet that melts and opens the circuit, forever.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:30:28 GMT, "Jeffrey P. Vasquez"
wrote:

[...]

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!
Let's do what Europeans have been doing for centuries.
DIVIDE UP THE SPOILS OF OUR CONQUEST! Gas will be
$US0.50/US gallon again, STUPIDS!
Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Larry W4CSC wrote:
Does it look like a little silver bullet with axial leads and one end
is plugged with a white ceramic something?

No, it looks like a light aluminum housing seated on a plastic plug with
two leads coming out. The aluminum case is open on top and there a metal
plate floating around inside the open top. If depressed it's kind of like a
clicker, i.e. it's convex to the opening. Any idea?
Ken Heaton

Comments below:

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote in
message . 17...

Larry W4CSC wrote:
Does it look like a little silver bullet with axial leads and one end
is plugged with a white ceramic something?

No, it looks like a light aluminum housing seated on a plastic plug with
two leads coming out. The aluminum case is open on top and there a metal
plate floating around inside the open top. If depressed it's kind of like

clicker, i.e. it's convex to the opening. Any idea?

Sounds like a device known as a "klicks-on" thermal limit switch. Similar
items are used in larger electric duct heaters in building HVAC systems. If
all else fails take it to a HVAC wholesaler and see if they can get you
something similar. Or a larger HVAC repair shop and see if they have an old
one lying around. They have different temperature ratings and either reset
automatically as they cool or have a button to reset them manually. The
little disk is bi-metal and bends as temperature increases, eventually
snapping across and opening a switch inside.

Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Ken wrote:
Sounds like a device known as a "klicks-on" thermal limit switch.

Yup, it's a bimetallic snap switch. Thanks for your help!

-regards

Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Ken wrote:
Sounds like a device known as a "klicks-on" thermal limit switch.

Yup, it's a bimetallic snap switch. Thanks for your help!

-regards
Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:53:54 GMT, "Jeffrey P. Vasquez"
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:
Does it look like a little silver bullet with axial leads and one end
is plugged with a white ceramic something?

No, it looks like a light aluminum housing seated on a plastic plug with
two leads coming out. The aluminum case is open on top and there a metal
plate floating around inside the open top. If depressed it's kind of like a
clicker, i.e. it's convex to the opening. Any idea?

Ok, this one has a bi-metal thermostat. The contacts are corroded
from the salt air. Just replace it....

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
FS: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater w/ heat exchanger johng650 General 0 October 14th 03 05:03 AM
FS: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater w/ heat exchanger johng650 Cruising 0 October 14th 03 05:03 AM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM
West Marine advert Q General 7 July 16th 03 02:34 PM