Default Skip's Angst

Jere Lull wrote:
On 2007-11-19 04:44:00 -0500, Paul Cassel
said:

The joke is you take an oar. Put it over your shoulder and start
walking inland. As soon as someone asks what that thing is over your
shoulder, you're far enough inland. Turn around 180 degrees, return to
the boat and you'll be ready for another few months of life afloat.

Dang, this paragraph keeps dragging me in.

We're weekend warriors, but this seems such a true reflection of the
cruising life.

That we are out and moving more than most cruisers is beside the point.
Those who understand our obsession typically live close to the shores we
frequent.

Most of us are brought up on land. For me that means desert and mountain
where the ground doesn't move. Where you wash a towel and it dries in a
half hour to a scratch finish.

Make a boat your entire world and even if the scenery changes every day,
the boat is your world. It's tiny compared to even a small house and
microscopic compared to walking around the block. Sailboats are worse
than power because meter for meter, they had less room and move
movement. Things never get really dry. We're cramped and damp - often
cold and never able to fully relax because we're always moving and even
while sleeping aware that "all hands" may be called at any time.

This may be different for those kids brought up afloat - I can't say as
I never kept track of any but for most of us who are land oriented, who
are used to being dry except when we swim or take a shower - a life
afloat needs reprieve from time to time.

I know from long experience this is true. Curiously, this is LESS a
phenom singlehanding than if you are with a crew. People rub on each other.

-paul

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Why don't you see if you can one-up Donald Crowhurst??? It would be much
more interesting speculating about whatever happened to Skippy and his
failure prone system laden joke of a boat than continuing to read a sorry
soap opera, whining, wimp's everlasting tale of woe.

You'll need a mirror on this one, Wilbur. Crowhurst was a loner like you
rather than a family man like Skip.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:08:59 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

On Nov 19, 5:57 pm, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

You know, we all get a bit down in the mouth at times with the whole
world crushing us. Right now, I'm trying to get a power boat fixed
enough to move on to and a sail boat fixed enough to move off of and
sell. It seems as though the work is never going to end

You tell it brother..Amen!

- I was a fool
to take this on - Lord, am I tired of boats!

Try getting a house uilt in 1905 ready to sell.
total electical
total plumbing
total land scape
total drainage
total paint..... interior.....interior

Ugggggg!

But, I've found that if you just take things one day at a time and do
what you can each day somehow, all at once, you find that you have,
somehow, worked your way out of the mess and are back afloat.

Right on bro.......almost ready for the For Sail sign!

I'm not much of a drinker but I do believe that the AA guys have
something with their one day at a time thing.

Ya, I wish i could hang wit dat crew but booze is a cheep and
availible drug. Ask me why it took 11 years to get a BS.and it wasnt
ETOH.

hey Bruce.........
good on 4 ur post
havnt been in ur parts 4 a while......... since 70.......
have the bars changed? Cheep huch and mama son for 100 MPC?

Bob

Yes, well... Prices have gone up some from what you saw back in the
70's. But you are talking MPC? No MPC in Thailand. If you are talking
about Viet Nam I rotated stateside in 1967 and went back once in about
1972, or there about, to look at a job and I thought that the prices
had gone up some then so imagine that they are sky high now.

Prices in Thailand, since 1970, has gone up quite a lot. It is hard to
talk prices as bars range from bamboo hootch to posh establishments
but as a sort of average I'd say that a bottle of beer would run
between 50 - 100 baht a bottle and a "lady" about 1,000 baht a night.
The exchange rate is *about* 33 baht to the US$.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

Prices in Thailand, since 1970, has gone up quite a lot. It is hard to
talk prices as bars range from bamboo hootch to posh establishments
but as a sort of average I'd say that a bottle of beer would run
between 50 - 100 baht a bottle and a "lady" about 1,000 baht a night.
The exchange rate is *about* 33 baht to the US$.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

That's 17-quid a night, compared to £500. I knew the UK was a rip-off, but
perhaps the quality of the merchandise here is more reliable?

DP

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
You know, we all get a bit down in the mouth at times with the whole
world crushing us. Right now, I'm trying to get a power boat fixed
enough to move on to and a sail boat fixed enough to move off of and
sell. It seems as though the work is never going to end - I was a fool
to take this on - Lord, am I tired of boats!

I think if I were a tired old man who attempted things greater than his
paltry ability to succeed, I would be down in the mouth, too. It would grate
on me knowing I had attempted a circumnavigation but only had enough of the
"right stuff" to get less than half the way 'round. I had bit off more than
I could chew. Boat was too big and complicated. I couldn't keep up with the
maintenance. Expenses got out of hand. Even worse is being stuck in some
backwater with no future while the trip grinds to a halt and contemplating
dying of old age among the heathens there while slumming it aboard some
decrepit old motorboat tied to a dock within sight of the sailboat in which
I failed to realize my dreams. A third world boat person. Look over there at
your erstwhile vessel and what do you see? Failure and shame, dreams not
realized. inability to finish what you started, defeat, the end of the road.

But, I've found that if you just take things one day at a time and do
what you can each day somehow, all at once, you find that you have,
somehow, worked your way out of the mess and are back afloat.

If you call some tired old motorboat "back afloat?" But I guess it suits
you. Tired old defeated boat for a tired, defeated old geezer and his crone
wife.

I'm not much of a drinker but I do believe that the AA guys have
something with their one day at a time thing.

If I were you I would commence drinking at once. Drown your sorrows. Get
drunk and feel good about "the good old days" when you still had what it
takes. Reflect upon those of us who still do have what it takes and still do
circumnavigations and still are able to do circumnavigations and still enjoy
the hell out of them. If you think about it, memories are about all that is
left to you, Pops. Try rum. I've noticed it allows you to recall mostly the
positive memories. (There's a slim chance you might have a few of that type.
You can't always have been a failure.)

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:08:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hot Damn! Here is old Willie-boy. Dumfounded by life as usual and
mumbling to himself -- Willie, you really ought to stuff a sock in it
as one of these days the guys with the white coats and the wrap around
waistcoat are going to drop by your place and away you'll go to the
big house with the padded walls.

Regarding my "paltry ability to succeed" I might comment that I have
two boats, one house, two autos, a wife, children and grand children,
no debts and a comfortable retirement. What do you have? A bicycle, a
house trailer and a yellow boat. I've sailed half way round the world
and you've sailed..... well you don't admit to having sailed anywhere.

So what are you rabbeting on about? I've got it better then you have
and you are jealous?

Good Lord Willie, all you got to do is get a job and start to work and
you too can have the easy life style. You don't have to be a bum!

My God, if you'd just learn to speak Spanish you could get a position
in Mcdonalds that would certainly pay more then the unemployment. You
might even be able to go sailing during your annual vacation.

All it takes is a little gumption (to use my grand dad's words).

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

[...]

snip..
Wilbur Hubbard

Good Lord...you've described Capt Neal to a 'T'! You must be well
aquainted with him, in those mosquito infested backwaters he frequents.

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:32:28 -0500, Martin Baxter wrote:

wrote:

Good Lord...you've described Capt Neal to a 'T'! You must be well
aquainted with him, in those mosquito infested backwaters he frequents.

Wilbur is scratching Neal's balls at this very moment!

No way! Impossible, Kneel lost his gonads years ago; seems lack of use
cause such hypertrophy that they fell off!

Cheers
Marty

I didn't say they were still attached to anything!

What is this? A bunch of gay boys salivating over objects of their desire?

Wilbur Hubbard