posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default What's under your mast?

found the the previous & only owner of the boat, a very wealthy man,
had drilled through pennies to use as washers. There were at least 120
of them all through the boat.

Wow he must have been filthy rich Doug..That's over 1.20..

You're pretty good at math, Joe!

I said that he was very wealthy not because of the washers, but
because his house was on 2 blocks of property in a very expensive old-
money inside-the-beltline neighborhood. His house & yard was bigger
than many university properties.

Dimes make great #8 washers and cheaper than SS.

I think you'll find that they have a lot of creep & distort too much
at high loads. However if you don't mind tightening the bolts every
time you sail and replacing the dimes every year or so, they'd be
great.

Look up the relative strengths/properties of the materials before
making cheapo substitutes.

I guess that's why there's a demand for real engineers.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Bob wrote:
Whut up wit money worth less than a washer??

That's what happens when short-sighted whores are put in charge of a
nation's fiscal system.

Not the first time, either.
"Those who do not learn from history will be forced to repeat it."

DSK

wrote:

[...]

Well, I've got 2P 'washers' under the nuts holding the pintle and
gudgeon onto the transom of my Albacore. No problems with dishing or
sinking into the wood. Untill the coins were fitted, there were always
problems with the fittings working loose. Bronze fittings so stainless
would be not so good. Our recent 2Ps are cupronickel over steel so one
has to go through one's change with a magnet if selecting washers :-(

NB 'Defacing the coinage of the realm' was an offence over here under an
act of 1861, no-one seems to know if its been repealed, and as I dont
want to be transported to Australia, I dont know how the 2Ps ended up
with holes in them, Honest Guv ;-) (The Queen's head and the portcullis
on the obverse were carefully sanded off before they were drilled, no
point in inviting trouble.)

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 4, 10:09 pm, wrote:
found the the previous & only owner of the boat, a very wealthy man,
had drilled through pennies to use as washers. There were at least 120
of them all through the boat.

Wow he must have been filthy rich Doug..That's over 1.20..

You're pretty good at math, Joe!

Thanks, as long as you do not stick letters in the math questions I do
OK.

I said that he was very wealthy not because of the washers, but
because his house was on 2 blocks of property in a very expensive old-
money inside-the-beltline neighborhood. His house & yard was bigger
than many university properties.

Most likely made the money on his own, and knows the value of work and
being thrifty when needed.

Dimes make great #8 washers and cheaper than SS.

I think you'll find that they have a lot of creep & distort too much
at high loads. However if you don't mind tightening the bolts every
time you sail and replacing the dimes every year or so, they'd be
great.

Depends on the application Doug, attaching 1/4" wood paneling would
be an example where a high load would not be experienced. Nickles
would be best for high loads, once you get above nickle size you need
to switch to washers. BTW if you do not have a gasket for your wear
plate on a Jabsco pump, a dollar bill can be made into a nice strong
long lasting gasket.

Look up the relative strengths/properties of the materials before
making cheapo substitutes.

Sounds like over engineering IMO, some of us could use simple logic
and do not need written proof from some black tie pencil pusher in a
cubical.

I guess that's why there's a demand for real engineers.

Well there are times when they come in handy.

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message
snip... NB 'Defacing the coinage of the realm' was an offence over here
under an
act of 1861, no-one seems to know if its been repealed, and as I dont want
to be transported to Australia, I dont know how the 2Ps ended up with
holes in them, Honest Guv ;-) *(The Queen's head and the portcullis on
the obverse were carefully sanded off before they were drilled*, no point
in inviting trouble.)

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.

Sanding off the Queens head??? Isn't that still a 'flogging offence' in
jolly England?

Joe wrote:
Most likely made the money on his own, and knows the value of work and
being thrifty when needed.

Actually, he was a fairly close sailing acquantance; I don't know his
whole life story but he did come from "old money" and did pretty well
for himself too. He was a commercial real estate broker.

The boat, Lightning #11900, he had bought new for his son to race and
then used as his "beater" daysailor & loaner at the club for a couple
decades. It was the last of a long series of one-design racers that I
bought cheap and fixed up to be competitive.

I think you'll find that they have a lot of creep & distort too much
at high loads. However if you don't mind tightening the bolts every
time you sail and replacing the dimes every year or so, they'd be
great.

Depends on the application Doug,

Well... yeah...

attaching 1/4" wood paneling would
be an example where a high load would not be experienced.

But why would you need washers for that anyway? I would think you'd
want the fasteners either countersunk or under bosses for looks
anyway. Unless you want your guests aboard to say " Hey cool , you
drilled out a bunch of (pennies, nickels, dimes, or other coins)....
wasn't that a PITA"?

.... Nickles
would be best for high loads

Umm, no.
A washer with a backing plate would be best for high loads.

.... BTW if you do not have a gasket for your wear
plate on a Jabsco pump, a dollar bill can be made into a nice strong
long lasting gasket.

OK thanks, I'll remember that trick.

I guess that's why there's a demand for real engineers.

Well there are times when they come in handy.

True, but much of the time a welder or plumber is a lot more handy.
My "litmus test" for engineers is what they do for hobbies....
engineers who are sailors, pilots, sports car bugs, in other words
something requiring real-life skills, are generally good. Ones who
prefer to fiddle with computers or something that could just as easily
be done sitting in a cubicle.... I say, leave them in their cubicles.

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Well, I've got 2P 'washers' under the nuts holding the pintle and
gudgeon onto the transom of my Albacore. No problems with dishing or
sinking into the wood. Untill the coins were fitted, there were always
problems with the fittings working loose. Bronze fittings so stainless
would be not so good. Our recent 2Ps are cupronickel over steel so one
has to go through one's change with a magnet if selecting washers :-(

I wonder if you've found (or perhaps very carefully applied on
purpose) the exact amount of torque that will not dish them out yet
will hold the gudgeon on. I'm a little surprised the haven't dished
out with the wood underneath compressing... even cupronickel has a
higher compression strength than wood... but then both are also
somewhat elastic... more so than any type steel.

Albacores are great boats, I sailed one this summer.

The pennies on the Lightning were definitely overstressed, they were
all dished and badly bent. The Lightning is a bigger heavier boat with
a more powerful rig though. Putting pennies under the jib tracks, for
example, was just plain not smart.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:23:59 -0800, Joe
wrote this crap:

On Nov 4, 4:21 pm, wrote:

when I bought a 20+ year old Lightning to sail & restore, I
found the the previous & only owner of the boat, a very wealthy man,
had drilled through pennies to use as washers. There were at least 120
of them all through the boat.

Wow he must have been filthy rich Doug..That's over 1.20..

Dimes make great #8 washers and cheaper than SS.

I find it strange to use copper pennies. When two different metals
are placed together in salt water, there is terrible corrosion.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Mystery Mast Keith General 1 July 11th 04 08:16 PM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Black Mast OK? Dennis Vogel ASA 8 October 28th 03 05:09 PM
Mast Problem Gafffer General 0 September 19th 03 08:11 AM
What's with mast wedges. Simple Simon ASA 2 September 12th 03 01:11 AM