Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Ping Bob - more on anchors

I can't find the original post which led me to this site. I found it
very interesting:

http://www.rocna.com/press/press_0612_wm_ym_testing.pdf

It discusses a very thorough test of many different anchors in several
different conditions, in very controlled circumstances. Significant
to our recent "discussions" :{)) they took core samples. I think
you'd agree that those were markedly more informative than just taking
something off the top like the local clip joint :{))

Back to our conversation, though, do you bend on each anchor before
launch, or do you set one for the area you already know, and leave it
attached? And, if like in the Chessie, what do you do when the bottom
conditions change repeatedly (the alluvial area was where we were
lots, but the last couple of hooks has been hard, and from what I
could see, the intervening ones were sand, e.g.)? No, I've never been
clamming, not enjoying eraser bits of any sort in my meals, but I do
know what you mean about getting out of that stuff...

This article has me rethinking my anchor management. Adding another
will be a storage challenge; only the fortress (which is knocked down,
in a bag, and fits nicely in the lazarette) and the danforths lend
themselves to stowage on the rail(s) - their currrent location(s).
However, when I lost my 65# CQR (see "Anchor's Away" - a report of a
sea trial last year) and was considering what to do for the
replacement, the Rocna, not only very expensive but at the entire
extent of the USA apart, a very high shipping charge, as well, and the
Spade, with the 120 being really the appropriate one for the boat,
being even worse, I eventually went to a like, but heavier, CQR.

These tests are more impressive to me than the ones held by Practical
Sailor, and while I recognize the self-serving nature of the stuff at
the end, I can't fault it. Like Spade, I suspect that surface area is
far more important than weight in determining the effective holding of
any anchor, and so, the differing weights are not as important in
these tests. However, the failure of some of the usually highly rated
anchors was significant to me...

Still thinking, but what the heck - it's only money. What to do with
one of the ones removed will be the challenge if I proceed...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Anchors Gordon Cruising 59 November 7th 07 06:24 PM
Lightweight Anchors [email protected] Cruising 5 April 14th 05 06:54 AM
Anchors Robert or Karen Swarts General 9 January 24th 05 11:50 PM
More Anchors! Martin Baxter ASA 11 June 18th 04 03:00 PM
How many anchors ? Joe ASA 79 June 15th 04 04:35 AM