Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Ping Bob - more on anchors

On Nov 1, 8:04 pm, " wrote:
On Nov 1, 3:46 am, Skip Gundlach wrote:

This article has me rethinking my anchor management. Adding another
will be a storage challenge; only the fortress (which is knocked down,
in a bag, and fits nicely in the lazarette) and the danforths lend
themselves to stowage on the rail(s) - their currrent location(s).
However, when I lost my 65# CQR (see "Anchor's Away" - a report of a
sea trial last year) and was considering what to do for the
replacement, the Rocna, not only very expensive but at the entire
extent of the USA apart, a very high shipping charge, as well, and the
Spade, with the 120 being really the appropriate one for the boat,
being even worse, I eventually went to a like, but heavier, CQR.

I'm not sure I read this right Skip, the Rocna is definitely cheaper
than a CQR on a weight-for-weight basis, and far far better value on a
performance for $ basis.

The CQR 60lb from West Marine online at the moment is: "Sale $1,075.00
USD (Save $320.00 USD)"
The Rocna 25 (55lb) from West is $800.00 USD, the 33 (73lb) is $900.00
USD, and even the 15 or 20 Kg could be expected to out-perform the
60lb (27Kg) plow...

A lot of pricing comparisons these days inevitably come from looking
at cheap knock-offs, which flood the market from both domestic and
Asian manufacturers. It's a lowest common denominator thing. The
genuine CQR, genuine Bruce, Spade, and Rocna are fairly equal in one
sense: quality of build - and comparisons of value need to be
undertaken like-for-like. Their prices generally reflect the true cost
of a decent anchor. There are lots of things from a construction and
production point of view that could be done to make the Rocna cheaper,
but then it wouldn't be top quality!

If it's cheaper, it's cheaper for a reason... How much is your boat
worth?

Thanks, Craig, for the commentary.

I had compared it to a Delta, the first "new" anchor I bought. I was
successful in buying my replacement 75# CQR for 375 - the 65 I lost I
paid 300 for. No, I didn't buy them at West..

I actively considered the Rocna and Spade - and didn't buy the Spade
because I'd have had to go to the 120 (not pounds, surface area), and
I couldn't afford it..

I don't dispute the cost nor the value. Just my hemorrhaging
pocketbook. If you'll ship me an equivalent to a Delta or CQR in the
60-75 (the ones on the bow, now) or so pound range for $500 (or, could
I buy it at West on my Port Card for that?), I'd mount it.

If you followed the thread where Bob was trying to eat my lunch, my
40k# boat with all that windage to boot, likely would need more than
the usually recommended anchors in a 45' hull. It's why I over sized
the Delta, and double over sized the CQR secondary. What would be the
recommended Rocna anchor?

Thanks...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)