Default ASA Instructor news

I received this email today from the American Sailing Association regarding
changes to it's policy to insure instructors.
-Ray

Dear ASA Instructor,

I have some unfortunate news to share with you, but I wanted to do so
immediately upon learning about it so that you can plan accordingly.

This year, your 2008 membership invoice will arrive with some good news and
some bad news. The good news is that your instructor's dues have been
reduced by $20. The bad news is why: ASA is no longer able to offer
personal liability insurance to its instructors. Your current insurance
will remain in effect until December 31, 2007.

ASA's insurance carrier cancelled our policy due to a large claim that is
pending payment. The claim amount greatly exceeds the cumulative total of
premiums that the underwriter has received from ASA since we started our
policy. I am sorry to report that the claim came about as a result of one
of your fellow, Southern California-based instructor's lack of prudent
seamanship: He de-masted a boat while teaching a class as he attempted to
pass under a bridge. He later grounded the boat in an unrelated incident.
Although the ASA policy was designed to cover liability, not boat damage due
to carelessness, the instructor had an insurance background and was able to
do a workaround and bring the ASA policy into play.

We are attempting to find another carrier to reinstate your policy. In the
meantime, I apologize for the loss of one of your key benefits.

Thank you for your understanding. We will continue to work hard on your
behalf to improve your benefits.