Bobsprit

Default Yet another radio query...

Okay, again I'm getting (as a gift if I want it) a Icom M-700 SSB radio.
This summer we have two short sailing trips planned and there will be plenty
of daysails, but
not the kind of cruising associated with an SSB requirement. My question is: Is
this still a worthwhile radio to have on board? Can I chat with people far-off
for the sake of chatting, as in Ham or CB SSB? I assume the SSB requires Tech
Ham license.
I already have the VHF and also a new 10 meter with 11 meter conversion aboard.

Thanks for any help!

RB
Doug Dotson

You can certainly chat to others on the frequencies set up for
that purpose. Marine SSB requires no ham license. Totally
different services. You will need a ship's station license though.
Last I checked it costs $150 but is good for 10 years. If the
radio can tune the ham bands as well then you will need at
least a General class ham license to use those frequencies.
There is a small segment on the 10 meter band for Techs but
not too useful these days. Not sure if the M700 can tune the
ham bands.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista