QLW

Default Summer Cruises

This time last year we and another couple were making plans for a cruise
that ended up as a five week trip through New York, Canadian, and Vermont
lakes and canals. I call it the Small circle (as opposed to the great
circle) Starting and ending at Lock six on the Erie Canal, Oswego Canal,
Lake Ontario, St Lawrence River, Thousand Islands, Rideau Canal, Ottawa
River, Lachine Canal and back onto the St Lawrence to the Richeleau, Lake
Champlain and NY canals back to lock six.
It was an absolutely wonderful trip and a large part of the success of this
trip can be laid at the feet of those in Canadian and US newsgroups that
answered our questions and gave us advice. Sarah and I kept a daily diary
and I'd planned on having a synopsis of our trip on line. I've worked on it
but it turned out to be a lot more work to compile than I first
thought...it's not done and if you're considering a trip, now is the time to
plan. Thankfully there are many good cruising guides out there that are far
superior to anything I could write.

If you are looking for a great way to spend five to eight weeks on the water
next summer you would be hard pressed to find a better path than the one we
followed. Since I can't (yet) give a blow by blow description, here's my
advice. Go to the newsgroups (especially Can.Rec.Boating) and ask for
help... buy good charts... plan for at least 50% more time than you think
you'll need... travel at hull speed... stay in a place that you really like
until you are actually ready to leave... eat out a lot but plan and take the
time to cook gourmet meals with fresh veggies bought at outdoor markets...
don't stay in hotels...take showers and relish them when you can find them
(rarely) but find joy in skinny dipping in the mainly clear, clean
water...take plenty of good rum along (Anejo or Mount Gay are my choices) as
booze in Canada will break the bank...watch every sunrise and sunset...plan
travel times so that you can be through the last lock at the end of the day
rather than having to lock thru' next morning...don't ever get in a
hurry...stop early each day and walk into town...talk to everyone that you
meet...never miss a chance to have fun and finally... never miss a chance to
make love. We are going to start way earlier next summer and take way more
Viag!!

Sandy K.

"QLW" wrote in message
[...]

Good for you!! Sounds like a great time was had by all....

Sandy K.

Come on summer! Mickey General 0 May 10th 04 02:30 PM
Summer cruising QLW General 2 January 27th 04 08:13 PM
A great summer of crusing or Let's Ban Power Boats! jchaplain General 33 November 12th 03 12:07 AM
Book: "Seven Knot Summer" - I can't find it Chuck Bollinger Cruising 6 October 6th 03 06:13 AM
Summer Basic Boating Classes in New York City JRTAUBER General 0 July 16th 03 07:04 PM