Larry W4CSC

Default SEA-235 SSB Tuner Problem

Glad you solved it, Geoff! Yeah, it's always acceptable to move the
transmitter up a little closer to the coax connectors....(c;

Any SWR under 2:1 is fine. 1.5:1 is only 4% reflected power. 2.0:1
is only 10% reflected power. That's just fine.....except on CB, of
course.

We also don't like these SWR readings at high powered broadcast
stations. 10% of 150 kilowatts makes a LOT of heat and some amazing
standing wave voltages. 10% of 150W is more manageable.

On 5 Jan 2004 12:00:48 -0800, (GeoffSchultz)
wrote:

I'm happy to report that I resolved the problem. Thanks for all of
the suggestions. This morning I wired a 50' extension cord as an
antenna and pulled it via a halyard up the mast. The tuner wouldn't
tune, but I noted that I wasn't receiving any WWV frequencies. I
switched back to the whip antenna and I still wasn't getting anything.
I decided to start checking all of the connections and while I was
checking the PLU-59 connection at the transmitter, WWV started to come
in. I played with the connector and decided to replace it.

After replacing the connector I tried tuning and got great tunes (SWRs
between 1.0 and 1.2) and great reception. I'm still very confused as
how I could transmit voice and e-mail over this, but I guess that
there was just enough of a connection, but insufficient for the tuner
to tune.

I learned a lot and really want to thank everyone who helped!

-- Geoff

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote in message . ..
On 3 Jan 2004 11:25:06 -0800,
(GeoffSchultz)
wrote:

~~ snip ~~

What I'd like to know is what other tests can I run to diagnose the
problem. Could it be the antennae? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Just remember that I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks, Geoff

I'm not familiar with that radio, but have you checked the connector
at the radio and at the antenna? Loose ground perhaps?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964

Larry W4CSC

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:40:51 GMT, Gary Schafer
wrote:

Nope, it is just a straight piece of wire. No coils at all. Unless it
is one of the old antennas for 2 mhz only.
With a coil in them they will not work above 4 mhz. Only a small part
of the antenna would be effective on the higher frequencies.

Regards
Gary

God, that must suck! Base loaded with a crappy, lossy tuner AND a
way-too-short antenna with only an E-field with almost no antenna
current......

NO wonder they all sound so crappy!