Curtis CCR

Default Pirates of the Caribbean - no, I'm serious

I enjoyed the movie - it's my favorite ride a Disneyland... but I was
looking for up-to-date opinions on the threat of piracy in the
Caribbean. If you go to Google and search of information, all you get
is the movie stuff etc. Try changing the word to "Piracy" with
Caribean and you get hits related to offshore software theft....

I have no experience with small boat cruising in the Caribbean. An
aquantance of mine is looking into a bareboat charter in the area.
She was online discussing it with someone that started filling her
head with concerns about pirates. Sounded like she was really freaked
by the thought of their boat being boarded by thugs and her and her
friends being beaten, robbed, raped.... or worse.

She lives in Piedmont - a part of Oakland, CA. I told her she was
probably more likely to get carjacked in her own neighborhood, than
hijacked on a boat south of Florida. But I also told her I told her I
would ask about it.

So what parts of the Caribbean would be considered "high risk" for a
small group of young adults on a 50-something foot sailboat? I don't
imagine that the demographic make up of the group or the size of the
boats makes a difference - but if it does...

While I myself might be prepared to go such a cruise armed in some
way, I am hesitant, for a couple of reasons, to to suggest to her that
someone on the trip should have a gun. Primarily, I am concerned that
saying something like, "maybe you should have a gun on board," would
make it sound like she should be worried. Secondly, I don't know if
she or any of her companions know how to handle a gun in such a
situation.

I don't want this to be a gun issue, but I know someone is going to
bring it up ... and I'll likely be sorry it was me.

Let me "bottom line" with a general question. What personal security
risks should be considered for someone considering a bareboat charter
in the Caribbean?

Thanks in advance.
Glenn Ashmore

Most places guns are more hassle than they are worth and without proper
training on how to use them defensively can be down right dangerous.
Most places you must surrender them on entry and return to the same port
of entry to reclaim them on departure.

Besides, with the exception of some spots along the Venezuelan and
Colombian coasts most of the pirates in the Windwards and Leewards run
souvenir shops ashore. It is wise to take normal precautions like
locking up your dinghy in some spots and staying in contact with one of
the HAM or SSB nets that work the area.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

JAXAshby

you need a gun, a shotgun, a revolver, a machine gun, a grenade launcher, a
machette, a Swiss Army knife, a Boy Scout knife, a paring knife, a box cutter,
a fingernail clipper and a frickin' brain.

Particularly the last for trollin a board with your b/s. now, get back in
study hall.

[...]

Bruce

He is every report of problems in the Caribbean in the last several years
http://www.caribcruisers.com/index.html

Bruce

He is every report of problems in the Caribbean in the last several years
http://www.caribcruisers.com/index.html

Karin Conover-Lewis

While I am personally all for blowing pirates to their eternal reward, I
have to imagine that there might be legal repercussions to such activities.
Unless, of course, you have obtained your Letter of Marque prior to going
cruising. ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On 01 Jan 2004 06:50:42 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

you need a gun, a shotgun, a revolver, a machine gun, a grenade launcher,

machette, a Swiss Army knife, a Boy Scout knife, a paring knife, a box

cutter,
a fingernail clipper and a frickin' brain.

Trollin' aside, I have a German friend who says you only need Russian
hand grenades, easily obtained in many places according to him. Off
of Thailand he was attacked single handing his boat by a high speed
boat. They shot over his head but didn't shoot directly at the prize
they were after, his yacht. When they came within throwing range he
simply dropped one of these grenades into the boat before the boarders
could reach his rail and they were so busy scrambling in the bilge for
the "egg" they veered off before it exploded.

The effect was devastating, a total destruction. That was the only
place he's been attacked but his boat is full of the arms you make fun
of. He says anyone not heavily armed cruising anywhere is totally
crazy....

I can think of no easier targets than most of the yachtsmen I
know.....As a group, the moneyed elite are awfully naive. As to using
the radio, what's the point? Noone's going to help you except to
maybe come look for your body, floating face down long after it's
over. Hell, I'm amazed the local marinas aren't regularly ransacked,
here.

Surveyor Caribbean? Bob Cruising 2 November 12th 03 11:30 PM
Caribbean 1500 Sail Questions NorthSailsBVI Cruising 0 September 21st 03 07:24 PM
Give me advice! Bareboat charter in Caribbean nick Cruising 18 September 10th 03 11:09 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean Bumper7 Cruising 6 July 18th 03 10:49 PM