JAXAshby

Default Pirates of the Caribbean - no, I'm serious

you need a gun, a shotgun, a revolver, a machine gun, a grenade launcher, a
machette, a Swiss Army knife, a Boy Scout knife, a paring knife, a box cutter,
a fingernail clipper and a frickin' brain.

Particularly the last for trollin a board with your b/s. now, get back in
study hall.

I enjoyed the movie - it's my favorite ride a Disneyland... but I was
looking for up-to-date opinions on the threat of piracy in the
Caribbean. If you go to Google and search of information, all you get
is the movie stuff etc. Try changing the word to "Piracy" with
Caribean and you get hits related to offshore software theft....

I have no experience with small boat cruising in the Caribbean. An
aquantance of mine is looking into a bareboat charter in the area.
She was online discussing it with someone that started filling her
head with concerns about pirates. Sounded like she was really freaked
by the thought of their boat being boarded by thugs and her and her
friends being beaten, robbed, raped.... or worse.

She lives in Piedmont - a part of Oakland, CA. I told her she was
probably more likely to get carjacked in her own neighborhood, than
hijacked on a boat south of Florida. But I also told her I told her I
would ask about it.

So what parts of the Caribbean would be considered "high risk" for a
small group of young adults on a 50-something foot sailboat? I don't
imagine that the demographic make up of the group or the size of the
boats makes a difference - but if it does...

While I myself might be prepared to go such a cruise armed in some
way, I am hesitant, for a couple of reasons, to to suggest to her that
someone on the trip should have a gun. Primarily, I am concerned that
saying something like, "maybe you should have a gun on board," would
make it sound like she should be worried. Secondly, I don't know if
she or any of her companions know how to handle a gun in such a
situation.

I don't want this to be a gun issue, but I know someone is going to
bring it up ... and I'll likely be sorry it was me.

Let me "bottom line" with a general question. What personal security
risks should be considered for someone considering a bareboat charter
in the Caribbean?

Thanks in advance.