Curtis CCR

Default Single Handed Flag??

Rufus wrote in message news:w2JJb.50799$I07.163474@attbi_s53...
Might also attract the CG, since single handing normally implies
breaking the rules about always having a lookout on deck.

What rules say you have to a "lookout on deck"?

Wim wrote:

Hi Steve,
This flag may attract the "Pirates of the Caribbean"( see other post).
They would know you're alone, but necessarily not defenseless? ;-)
Happy New Year :-)

Jeff Morris

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
Rufus wrote in message

Might also attract the CG, since single handing normally implies
breaking the rules about always having a lookout on deck.

What rules say you have to a "lookout on deck"?

Normally this would require a sarcastic reply, but I sense you might be serious.

from "the Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions
at Sea"
and, in the US, the "Inland Navigational Rules"

RULE 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight
and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing
circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

Steve

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

RULE 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight
and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the

prevailing
circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision.

I'm not a single-handed by choice but frequently sail single-handed due to
the lack of crew availability.. Or, in other words, I won't forego an
opportunity to go sailing or take advantage of a weather window just because
the crew failed to materialize..

I will admit that I interpret Rule 5 liberally.. The term 'proper' is
ambiguous as is 'full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision'.

I don't fully rely on my radar Zone Guard because I have had vessels
overtake me from aft of the quarter and the zone alarm would fail to alert
me. I have never owned a C.A.R.D. but a friend had one that gave false alert
from his SSB and his own radar.

So that leaves me with my MK I eyeball and my 10 min. timer.. I generally
make short coastal passages and spend most of my time in the cockpit or at
the nav station/radar. The galley is with in arms reach of both the
companion way or the nav station. I can manage about 20-24 hours without
sleep. From there on I 'cat nap' under the dodger or in the companion way. I
don't sleep if there is traffic within 10 miles and if I'm able to see a
ship beyond that is closing.

If I need more sleep, I look for an opportunity to enter port and anchor or
head well offshore. On the Pac US coast the shipping lanes extend so far
offshore, that isn't practical unless you head beyond the shipping lanes in
the first couple days and stay well clear.

I think the only reason I'm interested in a Single-Handed flag is to show
others that I manage my 13 ton cutter from place to place by myself. Call it
"Showing Off". Some might applaud this while other will condemn it..

However, I'm not going to advertise this if I'm in an area of risk of
pirates or boardings.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Doug Dotson

I will admit that I interpret Rule 5 liberally.. The term 'proper' is
ambiguous as is 'full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision'.

A good way to see what kind of teeth the law has is to look at some
of the maritime case law. I have no firsthand experience in this regard
but several of the singlehanders I have met in my travels have mentioned
that if you are single handing and have an incident resulting from an
improper watch, you will likely by found at least partially at fault. I
guess that is just one more of the risks of singlehanding.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

Boating/Yacht Club Flag Size? Gould 0738 General 14 April 27th 04 07:45 AM
Flag etiquette Cheshire Cruising 40 January 4th 04 12:25 AM
Which flag to fly ? Sven General 9 December 13th 03 12:02 AM
Jetskier's Ðon ßailey General 21 August 5th 03 09:01 PM