Steve

Default Flag etiquette

The US Navy uses the church pennant and while it is flown there are no
anouncements or bells sounded over the 1MC general annoucing system..
"Silence about the Decks"

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:28:05 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Chuck Bollinger wrote:

... don't get into heavy weather and fail to reef
your burgees!

I think you've addressed something relevant here, or nearly so. I just
about always take off burgees, ensigns, etc., when offshore. Who needs the
wear and tear with today's prices? Frankly it is a rare occurrence these
days when one needs to show colors, although it _does_ happen.

One problem I've run into over the years is the complexity of handing the
club burgee and the masthead pigstick without breaking or bending at least
_something_ up there. I have replaced a number of Windex parts and tricolor
lights over the years due to this (dagblasted) maneuver.

People familiar with Queen Hooper's book on yachting etiquette might
remember her description of hoisting the burgee on the J-boat "Shamrock"
each morning at 0800. The pigstick on "Shamrock" was originally a Sunfish
mast.

I will never use a pigstick, although I know it is traditional. 99% of
the time the signal halyard is free to carry burgees. When the 'Q' or
a courtesy flag is needed, the burgee can wait.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism

Keith

Isn't that the white one that normally means "bait available?" ;-)

"Leanne" wrote in message

..
Did you forget about the "Cat on Board" flag?

Leanne

Keith

Isn't that the white one that normally means "bait available?" ;-)

"Leanne" wrote in message

..
Did you forget about the "Cat on Board" flag?

Leanne

Armond Perretta

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

One problem I've run into over the years is the complexity of
handing the club burgee and the masthead pigstick without breaking
or bending at least _something_ up there ...

I will never use a pigstick, although I know it is traditional. 99%
of the time the signal halyard is free to carry burgees. When the
'Q' or a courtesy flag is needed, the burgee can wait.

I suspect that even traditionalists have come to terms with burgees on the
starboard signal halyard. It makes good economic sense in any case. What
they probably do not like, however, is showing more than one flag on a
single hoist. This at times seems to result in flag chaos, but I suppose if
that's the least of our worries we're doing reasonably well.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Steve

The burgee is a club flag and the rules of etiquette have evolved over the
year in and between yacht club. Most other flag etiquette is more of an
international understanding..

A burgee on a pigstick evolved back in the days of gaff rigs when there were
seldom spreaders. By having the burgee flown from the pig stick, at the
'truck' (mast head), the race officials, spectators and other skippers could
see the burgee at all times.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Ryk

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:19:28 -0800, in message

"Steve" wrote:

A burgee on a pigstick evolved back in the days of gaff rigs when there were
seldom spreaders. By having the burgee flown from the pig stick, at the
'truck' (mast head), the race officials, spectators and other skippers could
see the burgee at all times.

It also served as a wind indicator in the undisturbed air at the
masthead in the days before the windex, let alone electronic wind
instruments. Nowadays having both up there at the same time would be a
little redundant ;-)

Ryk

Boating/Yacht Club Flag Size? Gould 0738 General 14 April 27th 04 07:45 AM
Which flag to fly ? Sven General 9 December 12th 03 11:02 PM
Jetskier's Ðon ßailey General 21 August 5th 03 09:01 PM