Armond Perretta

Default Flag etiquette

Chuck Bollinger wrote:

... don't get into heavy weather and fail to reef
your burgees!

I think you've addressed something relevant here, or nearly so. I just
about always take off burgees, ensigns, etc., when offshore. Who needs the
wear and tear with today's prices? Frankly it is a rare occurrence these
days when one needs to show colors, although it _does_ happen.

One problem I've run into over the years is the complexity of handing the
club burgee and the masthead pigstick without breaking or bending at least
_something_ up there. I have replaced a number of Windex parts and tricolor
lights over the years due to this (dagblasted) maneuver.

People familiar with Queen Hooper's book on yachting etiquette might
remember her description of hoisting the burgee on the J-boat "Shamrock"
each morning at 0800. The pigstick on "Shamrock" was originally a Sunfish
mast.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Steve

I always thought the Battle Ax flag was the most 'all telling' but then I
never was allowed to have one (while I was married) and don't need one now..
;o))

Steve
s/v Good Intentions (looking for a "Single Handed" flag)

Ken Heaton

Church is real too, a lovely long pennant first flown by the British Navy
(and Dutch too) during some war or the other. By common agreement they
wouldn't attack each other while the Church pennant was flying. Or so I
understand... We've got one somewhere (about 12' long) but only use it when
dressing up for a sail past.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

How about the "Righteous Weed" flag?

Well, we all know the cat, dog, fish, cocktail, etc., flags are just fun
flags. But what the hell, it's all for fun anyway. But the dinner flag is
real.

Steve

The US Navy uses the church pennant and while it is flown there are no
anouncements or bells sounded over the 1MC general annoucing system..
"Silence about the Decks"

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Boating/Yacht Club Flag Size? Gould 0738 General 14 April 27th 04 07:45 AM
Which flag to fly ? Sven General 9 December 12th 03 11:02 PM
Jetskier's Ðon ßailey General 21 August 5th 03 09:01 PM