Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Keith

Default FRS / GMRS Radio FCC licensing

Well, I got a nice little Christmas present, a pair of Motorola T4500 FRS
(or so I thought) radios. Seems that these broadcast on both the FRS (Family
Radio Service) channels and the newer GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service)
frequencies.

When FRS came out, they were nice little radios that didn't require a
license, and had a good range, relatively inexpensive, etc. Of course,
somebody couldn't leave good enough, so they came out with the GMRS
frequencies. The radios use a higher power on the GMRS frequencies.

Well guess what? To be strictly legal, you have to get a license for these
new GMRS frequencies. $75 for 5 years from the FCC, you have to fill out
forms 605 and 159. Now, I can of course operate these radios on channels
8-14 ONLY without a license and be legal, because these are the old FRS
frequencies. Sheesh, the license is more than the radios!

Now how many folks who got these for Christmas do you think are going to
apply for an FCC license? Sure reminds me of the old CB radio days. Just
another taxation scheme.